Sauces are one of the simplest and quickest ways to give an extra flavor to our dishes. They combine with practically all kinds of elaborations. And they give a great touch to every dish where we include them. But it is true that many times we avoid their use, because they are very caloric and have a high amount of sugars and other unhealthy ingredients. But what if we make the sauces ourselves? When we prepare them at home they are much healthier, especially because we know everything they include. So today, let’s go with one of the most popular sauces: don’t miss this homemade barbecue sauce recipe.
It is one of the most used sauces in the kitchen. Surely you never lack a jar of this sauce in your house, but did you know how easy it is to make it at home?
As it happens with all the sauces that we are used to buy in the supermarket, it has nothing to do with the one we can make at home. And besides, you won’t feel guilty about using it, because it is much healthier and does not contain any artificial ingredients, preservatives or colorants.
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Onions
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 200 ml Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
- Tabasco (optional. Add a few drops for a spicy touch).
- Crushed black pepper
- Start by peeling the spring onions and chopping them into very small pieces.
- In a saucepan, put a dash of oil and, over medium heat, sauté the spring onions for about 10 minutes, until they start to become transparent.
- Add the brown sugar and stir well for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato and cook for a few minutes while stirring.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (the perrins sauce, paprika, mustard, honey, vinegar, soy and ketchup. And, if you want to add a spicy touch, a few drops of Tabasco. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring so that it does not stick to the pot.After that time, your homemade barbecue sauce is ready.
Did you know that…
Barbecue sauce was first used in the 19th century as a method of preserving meat, as well as enhancing its flavor.