Tiramisu is a dessert of Italian origin that is very easy to prepare. It requires neither fire nor oven. So it is perfect for these days of good weather that are coming. In addition, it is a very attractive sweet. And with very little effort we can elaborate a sweet worthy of the best restaurants. And, although there are many versions of this recipe, today we are going to see the most traditional recipe to make tiramisu. Will you join us?
But, let’s start by learning a little more about this dessert.
Tiramisu is a kind of cake, made cold, which is assembled in layers. As a base, and first layer, we need some sponge cakes. A solid ingredient that supports our cake. To elaborate the tiramisu, we use soletilla sponge cakes. We refer to the biscuits in the following image. If you can’t find them, look for similar ones. Thin, elongated, and with a completely flat bottom. These are well soaked in coffee.
And, as the next layer, we need a sweet cream that is made with eggs and mascarpone cheese. Now we only need to alternate these two layers until we finish our tiramisu. We will cover it with a generous layer of cocoa powder once it is finished.
Traditional Tiramisu Recipe
Although nowadays there are many different types of tiramisu, we are going to go with the most traditional recipe. You will see that, with very few ingredients, we will have ready a delicious dessert. Perfect to make with the little ones in the house. Because we don’t need to turn on the vitroceramic or put the oven on. In addition, you will see that it is made very quickly.
How to make Tiramisu
To prepare this traditional Italian dessert we need very few ingredients. We start with the sponge cakes, which will be the base of our sponge cake. Remember to use these sponge cakes (or similar), which are elongated sponge cakes, with a flat part and rounded at the ends.
They must be well soaked in the coffee. The coffee is very important for a great tiramisu. It will add a lot of flavor to our dessert. If you have an Italian coffee maker, take a look at these tips for a perfect coffee in an Italian coffee maker.
Besides, although we do not include it in the recipe, you can flavor the coffee with a liqueur of your choice. One of the most commonly used is Amaretto, a liqueur made of apricot pits and almonds. You can also opt for a sweet wine, such as Port wine.
Original tiramisu recipe
- 400 g biscuits
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 140 g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups coffee
- Cocoa powder
- Start with the eggs, separating the whites from the yolks, and place the yolks in a bowl.In the yolk bowl, add 60 g. of sugar and beat well with a whisk until creamy. Add the mascarpone cheese and continue stirring until blended.
- Now, we are going to whip the egg whites, until stiff. If you don't have an electric mixer, you can do it perfectly by hand, although it is quite expensive and tiring, but everything in this life is practice (below, in the notes, we will tell you some tricks to make it whip better if you do it by hand).
- Once they begin to whip, add another 60 g. of sugar little by little, while continuing to whisk.The egg whites will be whipped when, when you turn the bowl over, they do not fall (but be careful if you do this test! turn the bowl slowly so they do not fall to the floor).
- When the egg whites are whipped, we are going to add them little by little to the egg yolk mixture, gently so as not to disassemble them. With gentle movements.
- Prepare the coffee and add two tablespoons of sugar.Once everything is ready, we will begin to assemble our tiramisu.
- Take the biscuits and dip them in the coffee. Make sure they are well soaked but do not break. Place them in the container we have chosen for our tiramisu until the base is covered.Once we have covered the entire base of the container with the biscuits soaked in coffee, we will cover them with a good layer of cream and sprinkle the cocoa, using a sieve, until it completely covers the cream (no white holes are visible).
- Repeat this process as many times as we want our tiramisu to be as tall as we want it to be. Sponge cake with coffee, cream and cocoa.
- Once finished, let it rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
NOTE 2: What coffee is best for tiramisu? Do not skimp on buying a quality coffee, there will not be much difference with other cheaper ones and we will notice it a lot in the taste. If possible, make it in an Italian coffee maker, and make it strong and freshly brewed (You can see here how to make the best coffee in an Italian coffee maker for your tiramisu); you can also add a dash of Amaretto to the coffee to aromatize and enhance its flavor.
NOTE 3: A very easy decoration trick but with a visually spectacular result, to get a pastry tiramisu, is to add the last layer of cream with a decorative nozzle and the piping bag. You can give it the shape you want, or make the typical peaks with which the tiramisu is presented, like the ones in the main image of our recipe. And if you are organizing a more formal dinner, you can prepare the tiramisu in individual cups or glasses, they will look beautiful.
NOTE 4: Do you like iced cakes? You can put the tiramisu in the freezer for about 30 minutes, to give it much more freshness and a harder texture, it is also delicious, especially in summer.
Did you know that Tiramisu has its own day on the calendar?
Indeed, it is such a popular sweet that since 2007, Tiramisu Day has been celebrated every March 21.
Some tips to make your tiramisu recipe a success
Although we have already discussed it in the recipe, remember to keep in mind some aspects to get a ten tiramisu. Let’s take a look at them:
- Flavor the coffee with some liqueur: Although the original recipe does not use liqueurs, as we mentioned before, this dessert has evolved a lot. And it is becoming more and more popular to add some liqueur to our coffee to soak the sponge cakes so that they have more flavor. We usually use Amaretto. A liqueur made from apricot pits and almonds, which looks great with coffee. But you can choose the one you prefer. For example, in Italy it is very common to use a sweet wine for this purpose, similar to Port.
- Regarding the coffee, prepare a quality coffee, and even better if it is freshly brewed. I assure you that it will make a difference. It is an ingredient that will provide us with a lot of flavor.
- In the same way that you can put your tiramisu in the freezer for a few minutes and get a frozen cake if you like this kind of sweets, you can also prepare your tiramisu in individual containers. This way you will get a more formal dessert that will surprise all your guests. Assemble the tiramisu in transparent glasses or cups, following the same procedure as in the recipe. You will get a very attractive dessert.
As you can see, making a tiramisu yourself, following this recipe, is very easy. So, cheer up and prepare your own homemade tiramisu. But, before you go, don’t miss these other great desserts. Like the Cheesecake recipe with transparent covering, or this Homemade rice pudding recipe. You’ll love them!
And, with this, we finish this wonderful and sweet recipe. If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read them! And don’t forget that you can also follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You will find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.