The vegetable and egg skillet, also known as sartenada, is a very simple and versatile option for a dinner or lunch when we don’t quite know what to do. With just a few vegetables and eggs, we can prepare this magnificent dish so rich and healthy. In addition, we can make it with as many vegetables as we want, as it is a very versatile dish. Stay with us to see how to make this fantastic Vegetable and Egg Skillet recipe.
This dish consists simply of a mixture of vegetables, sautéed in the pan, which is mixed with eggs. We can add them beaten, to make a kind of scrambled eggs; or whole eggs, to curdle them on top of the vegetables.
It is a very simple and healthy dish that we can prepare in a matter of minutes. In addition, many more ingredients can be included, such as cheese, ham, bacon… To give it an extra touch of flavor and make an even more complete dish.
This recipe is ideal to take advantage of the vegetables we have in the fridge and we do not know how to use them. We simply need some vegetables and eggs. It is also an ideal option to use as a garnish, either for a fish or meat dish. We can even omit the egg if we are going to prepare it as a garnish.
Or, if you prefer to serve it as a main dish, although with the egg we already have the protein included in this recipe, we can also add beans or meat (either ham or diced bacon). Besides, this way we will have a tastier recipe.
But, before you start, don’t miss this other recipe to make a delicious sautéed pork tenderloin with vegetables: sautéed Swiss chard with bacon and tomato.
How to make a vegetable and egg skillet
For this recipe we can use as many vegetables as we want. For example, you can add Eggplant, Broccoli, Zucchini, Squash, Mushroom, Cauliflower, Peas, Green Beans, Peppers of all kinds, Asparagus, Carrot, Tomatoes….
But, if there is one vegetable that cannot be missed because it is an essential, it is the onion. Use any variety you want, white onion, purple onion, spring onion… It will always look great and is an essential ingredient in this vegetable and egg frying pan.
Once we have chosen the vegetables we are going to use, we will prepare them for our recipe. We wash and peel the ones we need, and cut them into bite size strips.
We sauté them in a frying pan with a drizzle of oil, adding first the ones that need more time and, when they are well tender, we will include the eggs to curdle them.
When we incorporate the eggs, we can mix it, to make a kind of scrambled eggs. Or, we can curdle them by putting the lid on the frying pan to curdle the whole eggs.
Vegetable and Egg Skillet Recipe
- 1 spring onion
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Carrot
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- The first thing we are going to do is the spring onion. We peel it and cut it into julienne strips. In a frying pan, we add a drizzle of olive oil and, when it is hot, we add the spring onion.
- When it starts to become transparent, add the carrot, peeled and cut into strips, and the bell pepper, also cut into strips and previously washed. Sauté for a few minutes.
- The next thing to add is the zucchini. We can peel it or simply wash it. Chop the tomatoes well and add them.
- Cook everything together for a few minutes, until the vegetables are very tender. Then, lower the heat, add the eggs and put the lid on the pan so that they set properly. Add salt and pepper to taste and, when the eggs are set, serve.
In this way, the eggs will remain whole, and will curdle, but not excessively. The yolk will remain tender. If we prefer the eggs to be completely curdled, we can add them beaten, or mix them when we include them in the frying pan.
This way they will be well curdled, although we will have a different but equally good dish.
Do not forget to serve your frying pan of vegetables and eggs with good bread, because I assure you that you will need it.
Let’s see some versions of Vegetable and Egg Skillet Recipe:
- Oriental Style Vegetable Skillet. Add some soy sauce and ginger powder to your recipe when it’s ready. And incorporate some bean sprouts into the stir-fry as well.
- Mediterranean Vegetable Skillet. We can use onion, eggplant, zucchini, tomato and peppers. And, in addition, we will use aromatic herbs such as oregano, thyme, rosemary… which will bring a very special aroma and flavor to the dish.
- Curry Vegetable Stir-fry. Season the vegetables you have chosen with curry and coconut milk before adding the eggs to the pan.
And finally, let’s look at some extra ingredients that we can add
- With crushed or fried tomato. If we want to make a vegetable pan with sauce, we can add fried tomato once our vegetables are ready. Also, this way the eggs will set much better.
- Any spice we want. Curry, Provencal herbs, turmeric, cumin, paprika… Any spice you can think of will look great and will add a very nice touch to our pan of vegetables and eggs.
- Fresh herbs. They will also bring a lot of flavor and a delicious aroma to our recipe. For example, we can opt for parsley, oregano, cilantro…
- Some protein. Although it already contains egg, which is a magnificent and versatile protein, we have more options. For example, incorporate a few pieces of chicken, beef, tofu… Cook it, cut into bite-sized portions, before the vegetables and set aside. Include them already cooked when you are going to add the eggs.
- With cheese. A perfect option if you want to give your dish a creamy touch and a spectacular flavor.
As you can see, there are many options we have to give a twist to our dish and make a different elaboration. Well, as we said, this recipe is very versatile.
And, with this, we finish our vegetable and egg skillet. If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, tips, ideas… We love to read them!