Today we bring you a dish that, besides being healthy, is delicious. And it is a perfect way for the little ones, or not so little that it is hard for them to eat vegetables, to eat them without any problem: the recipe of sautéed Swiss chard with bacon and tomato. It is also a very economical and easy to prepare dish.
Chard, despite being an underappreciated vegetable, is very healthy. It has a multitude of benefits and properties. In addition, we have many recipes to prepare them, for example, we can also make them sautéed with potatoes; or in omelette.
Even if we buy them tender we can prepare them in salads. In many supermarkets you can already find tender chard ready for salads.
Sautéed Swiss Chard with Bacon and Tomato Recipe
This recipe, as we said, is super simple. And it is perfect as a starter, both for a light and healthy dinner. Or even, preparing less quantity, it is a perfect garnish for some grilled meat or fish steaks. This way we will give more color to our dish.
To prepare it is as easy as cooking the chard, so that they are very tender. Remember to add a splash of lemon juice to remove the bitter touch that chard has. You can include the stalks, finely chopped, or reserve them to make some battered stalks. Your choice.
Once the chard is cooked, the rest of the preparation simply consists of frying the onion, which can be replaced by spring onions or leeks (or combine these ingredients as you like), and adding a little paprika. We will finish by adding the bacon and the chard and cook until it is ready.
Let’s see how to make this recipe step by step:
Sautéed Swiss Chard with Bacon
- 500 g Swiss chard
- 250 g Bacon
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Pinch of paprika
- 1 Lemon
- Olive Oil
- First of all, we will cook the chard. To do this, we put a pot with water and bring it to boil. As soon as it starts to boil, add a teaspoon of salt, a dash of oil, and the lemon juice (this will help to remove the bitter touch of the chard).
- Add the chard, previously washed and cut into bite size pieces.We cook between 20-25 minutes, until they are tender.When they are cooked, remove from the water and drain well. Set aside.
- Peel the onion and chop it finely. The same with the garlic. Put a dash of oil in a frying pan and, when it is hot, fry it over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, we are going to wash and grate the tomatoes. Set aside.When the onion starts to become transparent, add the bacon strips. Cook until the onion begins to color.
- Add a pinch of paprika, stir well and cook for a few seconds (be careful, as paprika burns quickly) and then add the grated tomatoes and a little pepper.Cook until it reduces, to taste, add salt and serve hot.
This dish, thanks to its simplicity, has a multitude of variations. You can add a couple of chopped boiled eggs before serving, or even break them in the pan before removing it to make a scrambled egg.
Although natural tomatoes give a delicious touch and are always a better option than fried tomato, we can substitute it. Or even add a little fried tomato along with the grated natural tomatoes.
You can also substitute the bacon for ham. Or give it a crunchier touch by cooking some bacon cubes before starting the sofrito. Cook them well until crispy and set aside. Add them before serving.
Have you tried using this great recipe as a pasta sauce? It will be a perfect and different accompaniment to your pasta dishes.
If you liked this simple recipe for Sautéed Swiss chard with bacon and tomato, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips and opinions, we love to read them! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter and Instagram.