Fish is an essential food for a healthy and balanced diet. And with recipes as spectacular as this Sea bream in salt recipe you will have no trouble eating fish. In addition, sea bream is a fish that everyone likes. It has a mild flavor and a smooth flesh that makes it ideal for the little ones. Do not miss this rich and healthy recipe of sea bream in salt. A totally Mediterranean recipe, one of the healthiest diets there is.
This recipe is perfect for a light dinner or as a second course at lunch. We can accompany it with a salad of mango and jerky to make a very complete and light menu.
Sea bream in salt recipe
For this recipe we will not use any oil, so it is a very light recipe. If you do not know this technique of cooking in the oven, I encourage you to try it. Despite the amount of salt we are going to use, the fish takes only the salt it needs.
To cook in salt, we will bury the fish in it. This will roast it in its own juices. It will be very tender and juicy. It is important that, when you bury the fish in salt, leave the head free. This way we will check that it is perfectly cooked by looking at the eye of the fish (it has to be white).
On the other hand, when we buy the sea bream, we will ask the fishmonger to clean it, removing the guts, but without opening it completely. It does not have to be cut either. The fish has to be whole, but clean. If not, it would be possible that it would be saltier than it should be.
Sea Bream in salt Recipe
- 2 Sea bream (Ask the fishmonger to clean them to make them in salt, he will leave them perfect to place them directly in the oven dish. Do not remove the scales and remove the guts from the gill area, without making any cuts).
- 35 Oz Coarse salt
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Lemon
- Spices to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Put the salt in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and aromatic herbs to taste. Mix well.1 Lemon, Spices to taste, 35 Oz Coarse salt
- We need an oven safe container, where the whole fish will fit. Cover the bottom of the pan with the salt, sprinkle a little water on top and put the fish on top. We cover them again with salt, leaving the head uncovered, and again, we sprinkle with a little water.2 Sea bream, 1/4 Cup Water
- With the hands, we press the salt lightly, to make it compact. Put the dish in the oven tray, at medium height, for about 25 minutes at 400ºF.
- After this time, check that they are ready by looking at the eye of the fish. If it is completely white, the sea bream is ready. Remove the tray, and with the help of a fork, so as not to burn yourself, remove all the salt. You will see that it comes out quite compact. Once you can remove the gilthead bream, serve them, and that's it.To serve this dish, you will see that the skin comes out very well. So you can present the loins without skin, it will be more comfortable.
NOTE: It is very important that once you take the fish out of the oven, quickly remove the salt. Do not leave it too much time with it because it is still very hot and will continue cooking our sea bream, so if we spend too much time, it could be very dry. For its accompaniment you have several options. For example, you can accompany the fish with a homemade sauce, with baked potatoes or with a salad.
When cooking it with salt, this one makes of layer that avoids that the fish remains very dry during the baking. In addition, the sea bream will absorb only the necessary amount of salt, so that, although at first glance, it seems that it will be inedible, you will see that it is not at all a dish that is salty.
This recipe is also perfect for fish such as sea bass. The steps are the same, and it is also delicious.
Benefits and properties of sea bream
Sea bream is a very healthy fish. Some of its benefits are its high calcium and phosphorus content. This helps us to maintain strong and healthy bones. And in smaller quantities it provides iron, sodium and magnesium. The latter helps the proper functioning of the immune system.
This fish, as we mentioned before, has a very low fat content, but it is rich in protein. So it is perfect both if you are on a diet and for athletes, as the high protein content helps muscle recovery.
It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood and help in the prevention of inflammatory or skin diseases.
About salt cooking
This way of cooking food is very ancient. It is believed to have originated in coastal areas, where salt pans abounded. It is very common on the coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, although there are also records of this way of cooking in China, where they also cooked fish in salt, and even poultry.
Did you know the recipe for sea bream in salt? Leave us your comments and opinions below, as always, we love to read your contributions. You can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram, to keep up to date with all our publications.
And before you go, don’t miss these mussels marinera or these Smoked Salmon and Cheese Crepes Recipe.