Sandwiches are perfect options for a quick and informal dinner. They are usually liked by everyone and are a good option when you don’t know what to cook. Today we bring you a recipe with a name of its own: The Philly Sandwich recipe. For all of you who don’t know it, it’s a beef sandwich, with caramelized onions and topped with a generous amount of homemade cheese sauce. Doesn’t it sound good?
Also known as Cheesesteak, it is very common in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. It is a really delicious fast food. You will traditionally find it at fast food street stands.
Authentic Philly Sandwich or Cheesesteak Recipe
Philly Sandwich recipe, the authentic Cheesesteak
- 2 Rustic hot dog buns
- 1 Beef fillet
- 1/2 Onion
- Cheddar cheese sauce (You can prepare it homemade, see below how to make it)
- Olive Oil
Homemade Cheddar cheese sauce
- 3 Cups Cheddar
- 1/2 Cup cream cheese spread
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Flour
For the homemade cheese sauce
- You can buy the cheese sauce or make it yourself at home. I recommend the latter, as it is not a lot of work, and once you get the hang of it, you will start making it for any dish, as it is delicious!If you decide to make the homemade cheese sauce, put the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add the flour and lower the heat to the minimum, stirring well with a whisk, so that there are no lumps.1 Tsp Butter, 1 Tbsp Flour, 1/2 Cup cream cheese spread
- Before the flour is very brown, add the milk and the grated cheddar cheese (you can do it with sliced cheddar, adding it to the milk in small pieces, although it will not give the same flavor).1/2 Cup Milk, 3 Cups Cheddar
- When the cheddar has melted into the milk, add the cheese spread, keep stirring, and salt and pepper to taste.Salt, Pepper
For the Sandwich
- Open the hot dog bun. ReserveCut the onion into thin slices, and the steak in the same way, in not very thick strips.2 Rustic hot dog buns, 1/2 Onion, 1 Beef fillet
- In a frying pan, with a drizzle of oil, place the onion over medium heat. You can add a little sweet wine if you want it to be sweeter, semi-caramelized. Or if not, when it is a little browned, you can add half a glass of beer, it will give it a very rich touch. Leave it over medium heat until the beer evaporates and set aside.1/2 Onion, Olive Oil
- In the same pan, we make the veal fillet cut into thin strips. Cook well until we see that it is done. We put it in the hot dog bun.
- Add the cheddar cheese sauce on the meat.After the cheddar, we add some caramelized onion, and we have our sandwich ready!Cheddar cheese sauce
This sandwich is a real treat. You can accompany your Cheesesteak Sandwich with homemade cheese sauce, as we have done in the recipe; or you can buy it already prepared. Although I assure you that the result is much better if you make it homemade. It is also very easy to make.
If you liked the Philly Sandwich, remember to leave us your comments. You can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all our posts.
And don’t miss these other delicious recipes, such as the Meatball Sub recipe, a super giant meatball sandwich; or the ultimate hot dog recipe, with bacon and cheese.