The Margarita cocktail is a popular cocktail originated in Mexico. It is a drink made with tequila, triple sec and lime juice. This refreshing drink is so popular that it has its own day on the calendar, as we saw in our annual calendar of gastronomic events. Every February 22 is Margarita Cocktail Day, so celebrate it with us with this original strawberry version and learn a little more about this drink.
Although we have a multitude of celebrations and commemorations in honor of all kinds of foods or recipes, some of the most successful are those of cocktails and drinks. Therefore, if you want to see other related dates, do not miss the Anise Liqueur Day, which is celebrated every July 2. Or the Mojito Day, every July 11.
National Margarita Cocktail Day, in the United States
Like almost all celebrations of this kind, this holiday has its origin in the United States, where the Margarita is one of the most popular cocktails we can find.
How to celebrate Margarita Day? By drinking lots and lots of Margaritas. United States, on this day, consume up to 185 thousand margaritas per hour.
Just as we do not know with certainty the history of the Margarita, we also do not know who invented this day. Although legend has it that Margarita Day was created by Todd McCalla. An Ohioan who loved this drink.
The truth is that there is not much information about McCalla, so we cannot know if this story is true.
But, whatever its origin, Margarita Cocktail Day is a very good excuse to have a good Margarita today. And, although we will see a very original version with Strawberry later on, don’t miss the classic Margarita cocktail.
Celebrate Margarita Cocktail Day with this Strawberry version
There are as many versions of the Margarita cocktail as there are liqueurs and fruit juices. And today, to celebrate Margarita Day, let’s take a look at one of the most popular ones, the Strawberry Margarita.
For this delicious and, at the same time, nice drink, we will need Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, strawberries, ice and sugar.
Remember that to make a good Margarita we will need a cocktail shaker. Don’t have one? Don’t worry, use your imagination and use any airtight jar as a cocktail shaker. All we need to do is to mix the ingredients well.
Once we have all the ingredients ready, we are going to freeze the strawberries for an hour, to crush them frozen. Once ready, just mix them in the shaker with the rest of the ingredients. And that’s how easy it is to celebrate Margarita Cocktail Day with a good Strawberry Margarita.
Strawberry Margarita Cocktail
- 100 ml Tequila
- 50 ml Cointreau
- 50 ml Lime juice
- 20 Strawberries
- We begin by washing the strawberries very well, and remove the leaves. Store them in an airtight bag and freeze them for one hour.
- After this time, remove the strawberries from the freezer and put them in the blender glass. Add the ice and crush well.
- Once ready, add it to the shaker, together with the tequila, cointreau, lime juice and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Shake vigorously and serve in glasses previously frosted with sugar.
NOTE 2: In the Margarita cocktail we frost the glasses with salt. But for this version we are going to do it with sugar. To do this, with a small piece of lime we will wet the edges of the glasses, but with a thin line. We put the sugar on a flat plate and put the rim of the glasses on the sugar. Press lightly so that it soaks in and wait a few minutes for it to stick. Then, we serve our cocktail in the glasses.
Some curiosities about this drink
And, before we say goodbye, let’s continue celebrating the Margarita cocktail day with some curiosities about this drink.
- The most expensive Margarita cost $1,200. A few years ago, a luxurious New York hotel launched “the most expensive margarita in the world” on its menu. And it was not for less, since it cost $1,200. Its name was the Billionaire Margarita.
This luxurious version was born on February 22, created by the director of Food & Beverage at The London Bar, to celebrate Margarita Day. It had tequila Patrón en Lalique Serie Edición Limitada Nº1, a drink of which only 500 bottles were produced, costing €7,500 a bottle. And as for cognac, it did not lag behind either, carrying a cognac called Louis XIII, for 7,000€ a bottle.
- In Arizona we found the “World Margarita Championship”, a competition to see who makes the best Margarita.
- The largest margarita in the world. This record is held by the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas, and they made a Margarita of no less than 32,000 liters of Margarita. This feat took them more than 300 hours and almost 60 people to achieve.
As you will see, the drink is simpler than its rich history, which is worth telling and keeping alive.
With this we finish celebrating Margarita Cocktail Day. And you, do you want to celebrate it? If you do, don’t hesitate to share it with everyone using the Hashtag #MargaritaDay. And, above all, don’t forget to share it with us by leaving us your celebration in the comments – we love to read you!