More and more people are choosing to replace cow’s milk with vegetable alternatives. Also, there are more and more cases of lactose intolerance or those who are looking for lighter milks that can be used in the same way as cow’s milk. And, among all the alternatives that we find, one of the first and that has more followers is almond milk. Therefore, today we are going to see how to make almond milk at home, you will see that it is very simple.
It is true that almond milk is not one of the cheapest, but if you look at the ingredients, you will see that it contains a very small percentage of almonds.
Besides, considering how easy it is to make at home, you will never buy it again!
A great advantage of making it at home, besides the fact that it will be much more economical, is that you will know in detail each ingredient it contains. And you will avoid large amounts of sugar and other unhealthy sweeteners for our organism.
How to make Vegetable Almond Milk
Although it is a very simple recipe, we will have to plan it, at least, the day before. For our recipe to be perfect, we have to soak the almonds at least one night.
In addition, soaking the almonds will help them to release the phytic acid they contain, a natural antioxidant that helps our body to absorb their nutrients much better.
When we are going to start our recipe we have two options, peel the almonds or leave them as they are. If we do not remove the skin, we will not remove the large amount of nutrients it contains. However, the milk will be darker. But it will not affect anything else in the recipe.
And, finally, we will only have to grind very well the almonds together with the water. To, later, strain it very well.
Homemade vegetable almond milk
- 100 g Almonds
- 1 l Water
- 1 pinch of salt optional
- Sweetener of your choice optional
- We start the day before leaving the almonds to soak. At least, we will leave them one night. And, at the most, 48 hours.We continue draining the almonds. We are also going to rinse them a couple of times under the tap.
- If you want a whiter milk, you can peel the almonds. Later on we will see some tricks to make it more convenient. But this is completely optional, so you can skip this step.
- Put them in a blender, together with the water and a pinch of salt, and blend well. To obtain a milk with a smooth texture, we are going to strain it very well. For it we can use a cloth filter or a bag for vegetable milks.
- Finally, if you want, you can slightly sweeten the almond milk with the sweetener of your choice. Although this is also optional, since almonds already have a very sweet flavor.Now you have your healthy almond milk ready.
Some ideas to sweeten the almond milk
As we said, you can use nothing to sweeten the milk. Almonds have a rich and sweet flavor. Also, if you are going to make a large quantity, it is better not to sweeten all the milk. Only what you are going to drink at the moment. This way you can use it for many other preparations.
But if you are only going to use it as a drink, a good and healthy option to sweeten your almond milk is to add a couple of dates when grinding it. This way it will have a sweeter touch in a natural way.
Other options to sweeten this drink, if you do not want to use sugar, is to add a little honey, stevia… Or any other sweetener of your choice.
Give it a different touch
You can also add a different touch to your almond milk. In addition to using it to dilute your favorite cocoa, to drink your coffee or tea, you can give it a different touch of flavor by adding a little cinnamon, vanilla…
How to peel and remove the skin from almonds
To peel the almonds comfortably, we can blanch them beforehand. This simply consists of immersing them in boiling water for about 30 seconds.
We put a pot with water and bring to boil. We can put the almonds in the boiling water with the help of a strainer; so that, in this way, it will not be difficult to remove them when the 30 seconds have passed.
You will see that, with this simple technique, it is much easier to remove the skin.
Why drink almond milk?
Many people use it as a substitute for animal milk. But, if you do not follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, or do not suffer from any lactose intolerance, you do not have to substitute one for the other if cow’s milk is good for you. But drinking cow’s milk or almond milk does not exclude drinking other types of milk.
So, whatever your case may be, try this vegetable milk. You are sure to be surprised by its taste.
It is also a good option if you follow some kind of slimming diet or want to take care of your figure. Almond milk has half the calories of skim milk.
In addition, we will benefit from all the nutritional properties and vitamin contributions of almonds. They are one of the most beneficial nuts for our health.
Benefits of Almond Milk
Now that we have seen how easy it is to prepare almond milk, let’s see all the benefits it has. Well, besides being very similar, in consistency, to cow’s milk, it also provides us with a multitude of minerals and vitamins.
Although it is true that it does not provide us with the same amount of nutrients as whole almonds. Because, when filtering, we lose part of the almonds. Even so, it is still a healthy option.
- It is very easy to drink, as it has a sweet and delicious flavor, like almonds, its main ingredient.
In addition, it has very few calories, even less than soy milk.
- It contains no cholesterol, gluten or lactose. So it is the best option for all those people who suffer from any kind of intolerance.
- Like almonds, the milk we make from almonds has a high content of vitamin E, a powerful natural antioxidant, which keeps our cells young and healthy.
- Reduces LDL cholesterol levels, better known as bad cholesterol.
- Helps the cardiovascular system to function properly thanks to its essential fatty acids.
Contraindications of almond milk, who should not consume it?
Although it is a very healthy drink, there may be cases in which it is not the most recommended option. Or even those who have to avoid this drink.
- It is completely contraindicated, as it is logical, to all those who are allergic to this nut.
- We also have to avoid giving it to babies. Because it does not provide enough nutrients they need for their full development.
- Almond milk is also not recommended for people with thyroid problems. This is because a regular consumption of almond milk.
And here we end our simple recipe for homemade almond milk. I encourage you to try it, as you will be surprised by its delicious flavor. And, of course, don’t forget to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read them!