Fish cakes are a Christmas classic. They are perfect as a starter, as a snack, or to prepare appetizers with them. We can even serve them as a first course. But they are not limited to just for the holidays, as they can also be served on any other special occasion. For example, they are perfect to surprise someone at a romantic dinner. Therefore, since they are so versatile and delicious, today we are going to see a recipe to make a fish cake as easy and simple as possible, in addition, it is special for Christmas. No doubt this recipe can get you out of more than one trouble when you do not know what to prepare or do not have enough time to do what you had planned.
To prepare this fish cake we can use any fish we want; or combine it as we prefer. For example, we can use any type of fish that we have left over from any other recipe; or even buy frozen fish. In fact, this is a good and simple way to make sure it is boneless. Most frozen fish preparations come without bones. If this is not the case, it is very important to remove all the bones that the fish may have.
Its preparation is very similar to other fish cakes, such as the scorpion fish cake, so you can choose the fish you prefer to make an even more special cake.
Christmas Fish Cake Recipe
Making this fish pie for Christmas is very easy. We will simply need cooked fish; from which we will have previously removed the bones; eggs, cream, tomato, salt and pepper. These simple ingredients will be enough to make a delicious fish cake.
We are simply going to grind all the ingredients together and then bake them in a bain-marie. This means that the mold where we put our fish cake we must put it in another even larger container with water. We will put both containers in the oven.
Before putting the fish cake in the oven, remember to grease it beforehand, and cover the walls and the base with a thin layer of breadcrumbs. This will prevent it from becoming too dry. It will keep the humidity and will be much juicier.
Another detail to keep in mind is that we are going to bake our cake covered with aluminum foil. If you want the top to be slightly more toasted, you can remove it after the first 15 or 20 minutes of baking. Or bake it without the aluminum foil, but making sure it does not burn. When it acquires the desired tone, cover it and continue baking.
How do I know if it is done?
To know if our fish cake is ready is very simple. We will do it in the same way as we do with the cakes. With a knife or a fork, a toothpick or the skewer of a skewer, we are going to prick the cake to the bottom. When you take out the toothpick, it should be completely clean. If it comes out with pieces of the cake, it means that it is not completely baked, so leave it in the oven for a few more minutes. If, on the other hand, the toothpick comes out clean, it means that our cake is ready, and we can take it out of the oven.
Remember to let it cool before unmolding it. Otherwise, it could break. Besides, this cake is much better cold.
Let’s go through the recipe step by step. And remember to stay until the end, as we will see other versions and how to accompany or serve this wonderful dish.
Fish Cake for Christmas
- 1 Kg Cooked fish (boneless)
- 5 tablespoons Tomato Sauce
- 500 ml Cooking cream
- 7 Eggs
- Bread crumbs
- First we will clean the fish of bones. Try not to leave any, as it would be quite uncomfortable. We will find it later in our cake. Once it is well cleaned we are going to apply it as much as we can. Although then we are going to beat it, it will be much easier if we have first crushed it.
- Put the fish in a bowl, add the eggs, cream, tomato and salt and pepper to taste.With the mixer we are going to grind this mixture very well until it is as homogeneous as possible. You should not notice any little piece of fish.
- Now that we have our fish cake mixture ready, we will continue greasing the mold with butter. We spread some breadcrumbs on the base and walls of the mold. To which it sticks thanks to the butter. In this way we avoid that the fish cake is too dry. Add the previous mixture.
- Cover the mold with some aluminum foil. This will prevent it from getting too toasted and it will acquire a uniform tone. Put the mold on another larger container, with water, suitable for the oven. Then we are going to bake it in a bain-marie.
- Finally, with the oven preheated to 180ºC, we are going to bake our cake between 40 and 50 minutes. After this time you can check that it is properly cooked, pricking with a toothpick, to the bottom. If it comes out clean when you take it out, it means that it is ready.Now we have ready a great fish cake perfect for Christmas, we will only have to serve it and decorate it as we like. Later we will see some options.
How to serve Christmas Fish Cake
When baking, we can bake it in a single mold, to serve the cake in the center of the table, as an appetizer; or bake it in individual molds to obtain a delicious first course.
Do not forget the sauce to accompany this cake. Undoubtedly, the best option is a pink sauce, which goes great with fish. But we can also put a little mayonnaise, better if it is homemade, tomato sauce … Whatever you like.
Another option to serve our Christmas fish cake is to decorate it with some cooked prawns on top, or with some lettuce leaves. Use your imagination and decorate it with all the ingredients you can think of, as it is a very versatile dish.
If you do not want to put cooked shrimp on top of the cake but you want to give it this seafood touch, you can also include some shrimp, prawns or the seafood of your choice in the preparation, before mashing it. Crush the shrimps or prawns together with the fish before baking your cake and you will have a great fish and seafood cake with a delicious flavor.
And that is the end of our wonderful fish pie ideal for Christmas. If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read you! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.