At Christmas we always want to surprise our loved ones with the most delicious and original recipes and dishes. Today we bring you one of those recipes that will not leave anyone indifferent. But it is also really easy to prepare. It is a juicy, tender dish, full of flavor; but with a fruity contrast that could not combine better with this type of meat. We are talking about Duck Magret with Cranberry Sauce, a perfect recipe to enjoy this Christmas, or any other special occasion. Join us to see this delicious recipe.
The magret, (from the Gascon magret, diminutive of magre, lean), is a cut from the duck area; although it also receives the same name the magret of goose. So it is a very juicy meat and full of flavor. For that reason, it is one of the most appreciated cuts of meat. If the duck meat is already of great quality, this cut in particular, takes the palm.
It is true that it is not a very economical cut, but it is an exquisite snack perfect for the holidays or for any other special occasion.
Duck Magret with Cranberry Sauce Christmas Recipe
For this recipe, the main elaboration will be the cranberry sauce, since the rest will be done by the oven. And yet, it is very simple. We will simply have to cook the orange juice, the white wine and the cranberries in a pot, together with the sugar. Let the cranberries release their juice while cooking over low heat. After 20 minutes, we will have our sauce ready, which we can grind to obtain a homogeneous mixture or serve it just like that, so that it has more texture.
As you can see, in the recipe we indicate fresh or frozen blueberries, because as we need 200 grams, buying them fresh may not be very economical. And with frozen blueberries, we will do the same function and there will be no difference.
While we cook the sauce in the pan, we can let the duck breast cook in the oven. It will be enough to put it on the rack for a few minutes until it is ready.
Once ready, we will only have to serve it, cut it into not too thick fillets and accompany it with a good splash of cranberry sauce. It’s that easy! Let’s see the step by step recipe for this Duck Magret with cranberry sauce for Christmas.
Christmas recipe: Duck Magret with cranberry sauce
- 2 duck Magret
For the cranberry sauce
- 400 g Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 250 ml White wine
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Oranges
For the Cranberry Sauce
- We start by cooking, in a small pot, the juice of the two oranges, the white wine, and the cranberries, over medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and mix well. Cook again for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After this time, season with salt and pepper, and the sauce is ready. We can serve it like this, with the whole cranberries, or grind it until we get a homogeneous sauce. To your taste.
- We begin by preheating the oven to 250ºC.Cut the skin of the magret with a sharp knife, making cuts every 2 or 3 cm in both directions (as if it were the grid of a notebook). Season with salt and pepper on both sides and paint the meat (not the skin) with oil.
- Place the duck breast on the oven rack with the skin side up. Just below put the oven tray with an ovenproof dish, to collect all the juices that fall.
- Once the oven is preheated, we are going to bake for 5 minutes; we turn it over and leave it for 5 more minutes. And finally, we turn it over again, so that the skin is again facing upwards, and we leave it for another 5 minutes. The last two minutes, with the grill on.
- Serve the magret cut into fillets, and drizzle a little cranberry sauce over the meat on each plate. Now you have ready a great dish of duck breast with cranberry sauce.
When you have everything, serve the magret in not very thick fillets and drizzle a little sauce on each plate.
In little more than half an hour you will have a Christmas dinner at the height of the best restaurants.
If you also want to serve some garnish, you can opt for the classics, and serve with mashed potatoes, which always goes perfectly with meat.
Duck meat, the protagonist of our recipe, is a very fatty meat, but it also has a multitude of portions. It is rich in protein, vitamin B, iron, phosphorous… And, in particular the magret, is rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids; which help our body to fight cholesterol.
Regarding the price, although it is not one of the cheapest cuts, a duck magret is enough for 2 people perfectly. And we can find a magret between 15 and 20 € each. In addition, we can always serve a salad first; and, with the starters and appetizers, we will complete the menu so that we do not have to spend excessively.
And here we end this recipe for Duck Magret with Cranberry sauce for Christmas. But, before you go, don’t miss these other great Christmas recipes. For example, Fish Cake for Christmas or Baked Sea Bream recipe.
If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read you! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.