Today we are going to see a recipe of a lifetime. This garlic soup is typical of Mediterranean countries. It has been prepared for years, especially by families working in the countryside. It is a very humble dish, but perfect to warm up. In addition, it has all the benefits and properties of garlic, a very healthy food. It is perfect for the cold days that are beginning, so if you want to try it, do not miss this garlic soup recipe.
This dish is ideal for dinner, especially on cold days. The truth is that for a soup it is quite hearty, so it is enough for a light and healthy dinner. Or as a first course at lunch.
Mediterranean garlic soup recipe
As we will see later, this dish is very simple. We will only need garlic, bread, eggs and paprika. These four ingredients are essential for a garlic soup. Remember that this is a dish of humble origins, and it was made with whatever was available in the house.
All the other ingredients that we will add are to give it more flavor and slightly modernize the recipe. For example, we are going to add some diced ham, which will be great. If you want, you can substitute them for bacon. And the water, to cook the soup, you can substitute it perfectly for meat or chicken broth, whatever you like.
Once the soup is ready, although it already contains eggs, we are going to accompany it with another boiled egg. It will contrast with the texture of the soup and combines wonderfully. But as we said, these ingredients can be omitted.
Garlic Soup Recipe
- 7-8 cloves of garlic
- 200 g ham cubes (optional)
- 4 eggs (one per person)
- 8-10 slices of stale bread
- 1,5 l meat broth (or water)
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 25 ml olive oil
- Start by peeling the garlic and cutting it into slices.In a pot, heat the oil and, once hot, sauté the garlic until it has a light golden color (be careful not to burn them, otherwise they will be bitter and spoil the recipe, so keep the heat low).If you decide to add ham, when the garlic begins to color, add it to the pan to finish cooking with the garlic.7-8 cloves of garlic, 25 ml olive oil, 200 g ham cubes
- Add the bread slices and let them toast slightly (to taste). When they are lightly toasted add the paprika and stir well. Be careful not to burn the paprika, otherwise it will give us a bitter taste as well as the garlic.8-10 slices of stale bread, 1 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- Once all the ingredients in the pot are well mixed, add the water or broth. With the heat on medium low, stir it for about 3 minutes, so that the bread integrates.Let it cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat.Add salt and ground pepper.1,5 l meat broth, Salt, pepper
- When they are almost ready, taste the broth, in case you need to correct the salt. If they are to your liking, break the eggs and add them to the soup. Let them set for about 3 minutes.4 eggs
Properties and benefits of garlic
In addition, the main ingredient of this soup, garlic, is a superfood. It has a multitude of benefits and beneficial properties for our organism.
Already in ancient times, the physician Hippocrates (460 B.C. 370 B.C.), known as the father of Western medicine, prescribed garlic for a multitude of pathologies and respiratory diseases, parasites, fatigue…
- It has more than 2000 active components that help us to maintain a healthy and strong organism. Some of these components are potassium, phosphorus, a lot of vitamins, especially vitamin C and B6, essential oils…
- Antibiotic and natural antifungal, helping our body to be free of bacteria and fungi.
- It is also a powerful antiviral.
- It reduces blood pressure and is a good antioxidant.
- Reduces blood cholesterol levels.
Would you like to try this delicious and healthy garlic soup recipe?
Remember to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read your comments!
And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You’ll find us on Twitter and Instagram.