Tomato sauce is a must in the kitchen. We use it in a multitude of dishes. And normally, we always end up buying it. But it is a very easy sauce to make at home. So, for all those occasions when we want to show off with our dishes, today we are going to show you the homemade tomato sauce recipe.
With it, we will get some spectacular dishes. It is nothing like any tomato sauce that we can buy in the market. We can use it, for example, in pizzas. Besides, if you also make homemade pizza dough, you don’t want to discredit your work in the kitchen with a canned tomato sauce.
It is also a perfect sauce for pasta, meats, sandwiches… You can add it wherever you like.
And besides making the difference with a simple homemade sauce, you will avoid consuming the amount of artificial ingredients and additives harmful to your health, which carry these sauces of pot in exaggerated quantities. So your recipe, in addition, will be much healthier. You can’t ask for more!
How to make homemade tomato sauce
For this sauce we will need tomatoes, the base of the recipe; we will also add red peppers, green peppers, lots of onion, garlic, and some spices to give it more flavor.
Its preparation is very simple. But it will take us some time. Because we have to cook the ingredients over low heat. And, once the sauce is ready, when we have mashed it, we will cook it again for an hour and a half so that all the ingredients are integrated.
And that’s how easy it is to prepare this spectacular and delicious sauce.
Let’s see in detail how to make homemade tomato sauce.
Homemade tomato sauce recipe
- 3 Kg Tomatoes (well ripe)
- 3 red peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 4 Onions (large)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar (optional)
- 2 Cayenne peppers (optional)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- We begin by washing the tomatoes and peppers. We chop the peppers and the onion in julienne. And the tomatoes in quarters.3 Kg Tomatoes, 3 red peppers, 1 green bell pepper, 4 Onions
- In a pot, put a good splash of oil, and, over medium heat, add the onion and the two cayenne peppers. We sauté it until the onion begins to take a honey color, about 15 minutes.4 Onions, Oil, 2 Cayenne peppers
- Add the peppers, the garlic (cut in two) and the chopped tomatoes. When the mixture starts to bubble, due to the water that the tomatoes will release, put it over low heat, add the bay leaf, and let it cook for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.3 Kg Tomatoes, 3 red peppers, 1 green bell pepper, 2 Garlic cloves, 1 Bay Leaf
- After that time, we grind everything well and pass it through a potato masher. We put it back in the pot to the fire, and let it cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and a half (until it thickens to taste). Remember to keep stirring until it thickens to taste.
- Salt and, if it is too acid, add a pinch of sugar. Although it is a matter of taste.And now you have your tomato sauce ready to use in any recipe, freeze or keep for other occasions.Salt, 1/2 tbsp Sugar, Ground pepper
How to preserve homemade tomato sauce?
If you finally decide to prepare this tomato sauce, it is best to make a larger quantity than you need. This way, you will be able to keep it for a long time; and thus always have it ready for whenever you need it.
Preserving this sauce is very simple; and I assure you that it will be worth it. It is a good idea to buy tomatoes in quantity when they are in season. This way, we can make preparations like this one to keep for a long time. This way, we will eat healthier and, in addition, we will save money.
The first and easiest way to preserve tomatoes is to freeze them. Just let it cool before storing it. Fill airtight glass jars with the sauce, leaving one or two fingers unfilled (so that they do not burst as the volume of the sauce increases when frozen). And put them in the freezer – that’s it!
Remember to label your jars with the date, so you don’t overdo it. Keep in mind that homemade tomato sauce can last up to 10 months in the freezer.
And when you want to use it?
Very simple, remember to take the sauce out of the freezer the day before (leaving it in the fridge), and you will be able to use it without any problem.
But if you are one of those who do not have room in the freezer and do not want to fill it with tomato jars, you can make vacuum canning jars. You simply need glass jars. You can recycle them from other canning jars you have used up. (Make a note of this cooking tip. Keep all glass jars, you will always have some use for them). Let’s see how to store your homemade canned tomato sauce in a vacuum.
Start by sterilizing the jars and lids separately. We put them in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Then, take them out and dry them very well. Fill them leaving about one centimeter empty.
Repeat the first step with the lids. We close the jars very well and put them in a pot full of water. In such a way.
We bring it to the boil and keep it that way for 20 minutes. After that time we remove the pot from the fire and wait for it to cool down. When the water is cold, remove the jars and they are ready. Store them in a cool, dry place.
If you make extra homemade tomato sauce to be able to store it and have it ready for other occasions, and you decide to vacuum-pack it, always check before using it to make sure it is not spoiled.
How to know if the canned product is in bad condition?
Even if you make perfect preserves, some jars may be in bad condition. It may not have been completely sterilized and some bacteria may have remained, or the vacuum may not have been done correctly because the jar has a defect. So, how do you know if it is in bad condition?
- If you see that the lid is bulging or inflated, as if it had a lot of air inside.
- If when you open it you hear as if it had gases inside, or the tomato has an effervescent effect.
- Or if you see that there is liquid on the top of the sauce.
Then the canning has not been done correctly. In these cases, throw away the jar directly. Never consume it.
Would you like to try this homemade tomato sauce? Remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips, opinions… We love to read your comments!
And don’t forget to follow us on social networks. You’ll find us on Twitter and Instagram.