Have you ever used the green part of the leek to make a recipe? Although its use is practically limited to broths and soups, there are very curious recipes that use this part of the leek to make delicious dishes, such as the recipe we bring you today for Green Leek Cream. It is a recipe of the Mediterranean Diet. One of the healthiest diets.
Garnished with crispy ham, a little bit of bacon, pistachios, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries, this curious and beautiful leek cream will make you look like a real chef with your next guests.
Besides, leeks are a very healthy vegetable. So this dish is a perfect starter or a light dinner if we want to take care of ourselves.
Aren’t you looking forward to trying it? Let’s go with the recipe!
Green leek cream recipe
Green leek cream recipe
For the Cream
- 500 g Leeks (the green part)
- 1 Potato (medium)
- 100 ml Cream
- 1 liter Chicken broth
- Chopped chives
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp Butter
For the decoration of the dish
- 100 g ham
- 100 g Bacon in strips
- Pumpkin seeds
- Pistachios (crushed)
- Dehydrated blueberries
For the Cream
- For this recipe we only need the green part of the leeks. Save the rest for another meal. It is also ideal because the green part is the least used, not many recipes are known with it, and we usually use it only for broths and soups. In this way, we take advantage of everything and do not throw them away.Cut it into slices to make it easier to cook. Don't worry too much about the shape as we will shred it later.500 g Leeks
- Put a saucepan on the fire and add a drizzle of oil to poach the leeks well, over medium-low heat.When the leeks start to become transparent, add the peeled and cut potato.It is not necessary to cut the potato on a board, if you go in with the knife and "pulling out" small pieces, you will help it to release the starch, which will give a more binding texture to our cream. Fry the leek with the potato for about ten minutes.500 g Leeks, 1 Potato, Olive oil
- Continue adding the broth and let it cook for about 25 minutes over medium-low heat.After this time, add the cream, butter, salt to taste and pepper. Stir well.Once these ingredients are integrated in the broth, we are going to remove them and whisk them very well. Once whipped, strain it.100 ml Cream, 1 liter Chicken broth, Salt, 1 Tbsp Butter, Ground pepper
Let's go now with the decoration of our cream
- In a frying pan, add a few drops of oil and sauté the bacon over medium high heat until golden brown. Once done, take it out and set aside.Olive oil, 100 g Bacon in strips
- In the same frying pan, fry the ham for a few minutes until crispy. Take it out and cut it into thin strips, the size you prefer. I recommend cutting it very small.100 g ham
- Put the cream in bowls and decorate with a handful of bacon and crispy ham. Add the crushed pistachios, a handful of pumpkin seeds and the dehydrated cranberries. And ready to eat.100 g ham, 100 g Bacon in strips, Pumpkin seeds, Pistachios, Dehydrated blueberries, Chopped chives
Have you seen how simple and quick it is to make? It is also a very healthy and light recipe. And its main ingredient, the leek, is full of qualities.
Know all the benefits of leeks
- Leeks are alkalizing and diuretic, as they are rich in potassium. It is also beneficial for lowering blood pressure.
- It is ideal for slimming diets, since leeks are a very satiating food with very few calories.
- The low calories in leeks also help to control cholesterol, which is reduced when losing weight.
- It also contains vitamins C, E, and B6, which improve blood circulation. Leeks are rich in vitamins B9 and folic acid, which help us repair body tissues and generate new cells.
- It is a perfect food for women in the first weeks of pregnancy. Its high folate content ensures proper development of the fetus. The leek, from the onion family, like the onion, also fights coughs and other throat problems.
It is said that great orators such as the philosopher Aristotle and Emperor Nero used this food to strengthen the voice and thus avoid throat problems.
With so many benefits that this food brings us, do you dare to try our leek cream recipe? Don’t forget to leave us your comment below and rate the recipe if you liked it.