Today we are going to see a very complete and tasty sandwich: the Miami Sandwich Recipe, also known as Cuban sandwich. It is a very easy sandwich to make. Perfect for a quick but delicious dinner. And let’s learn about its history. Will you join us?
History of the Miami Sandwich
This sandwich, also called Cuban sandwich, was born in Cuba, in the cafés that served Cuban workers in Tampa and Key West, two of the first communities of Cuban immigrants in Florida dedicated to the tobacco industry.
Later, Cuban exiles and expatriates took it to Miami, where it became very popular, under the name Miami Sandwich.
Miami sandwich with pickles, cheese and smoked pork ham.
Let’s see Miami or Cuban sandwich recipe
Miami or Cuban sandwich recipe
- 1 Cuban Bread (or rustic Hot Dog bun)
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 3 Slices Marinated Pork
- 4 Slices smoked ham
- 2 Slices Cheese
- 2-3 Pickles
- 1 tbsp Butter
- First we open the bread. In a frying pan or toaster, we toast the inside of the bread. We add the smoked ham, marinated pork and cheese.1 Cuban Bread, 3 Slices Marinated Pork, 4 Slices smoked ham, 2 Slices Cheese
- Cut the pickles and jalapenos into slices. We place them on the sandwich and spread the inside of one side of the sandwich with mustard.2-3 Pickles, jalapeños, 1 tsp Mustard
- In a bowl, prepare a tablespoon of butter and melt it in the microwave. Clean with a paper the frying pan that you had used, so that there are no remains, and put the whole sandwich in the frying pan, over medium heat. We will paint the top of the Miami sandwich with the melted butter, and with a plate (smaller than the pan, but covering the sandwich) press it against the pan.1 tbsp Butter
- Flip the sandwich over, with the buttered side now in the pan, and press it back down a bit. A few minutes, so it doesn't burn, but melts the cheese.Once ready, cut it in two halves diagonally.
The real Cuban sandwiches are made on a double griddle or press, which allows to “press” them well, hence in our recipe we tell you to flatten it against the pan with a plate. But if you are lucky enough to have a griddle of this style at home, do not hesitate and prepare your sandwich there.
As a curiosity, from the original Cuban sandwich, also called Miami, comes the very famous mixed sandwich.
I encourage you to try to make this Miami sandwich recipe at home. Of course, one sandwich is enough for two people for dinner. As we told you, it is usually cut in half, diagonally. And since it is so hearty, it is enough for a dinner, although you can also serve it with some delicious french fries!
If you liked our Miami Sandwich recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment.
You can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all our posts.