Meatloaf with mashed potatoes is a recipe that never fails. It is very simple to make, quick, with ingredients that we usually always have in our fridge and everyone likes it.
This recipe is very juicy thanks to the mashed potato accompaniment, and it looks spectacular with the grilled cheese. It is also a very economical recipe and it is sure to bring back many memories, as it was a very popular dinner in many homes.
Let’s see how to make this simple meat pie with which you will triumph
You will see that preparing this meatloaf is very easy. Besides, it is a very versatile recipe and we can add or remove ingredients as we prefer. We are going to cook the meat with some vegetables, such as onion, carrot, and garlic. And in addition, we are going to include some tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce. But as we said, you can add all the vegetables you prefer.
On the other hand, we will prepare a classic and simple mashed potato, you can see how to make it juicier with this Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe.
When both the mashed potatoes and the minced meat are ready, simply place a layer of mashed potatoes in a baking pan, cover it with the minced meat and cover it again with mashed potatoes.
Our meat pie with mashed potatoes is now ready, but we are going to add some grated cheese on top and lightly gratinate it to give it a spectacular touch.
Let’s see, step by step, how to prepare this delicious dish.
Meatloaf Recipe – Quick and Easy –
- 500 g minced meat (to taste, you can choose veal, mixed…, whatever you prefer)
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 glass White wine
- 100 g tomato sauce
- 70 g grated cheese
- Crushed pepper
- Olive Oil
- worcestershire sauce
- First we are going to wash the potatoes very well, because we will cook them with skin. We are going to make some cuts so that they take the salt and we put them in water to cook, until they are soft. Check it by pricking with a fork. While the potatoes are cooking we continue with the meat for our pie.
- For the meat, we will prepare a sofrito with onions and garlic.Peel the onion and cut it into very small cubes, the same with the garlic.
- In a frying pan, with a drizzle of oil, add the onion and the finely chopped garlic when it is hot and let it fry. When it starts to become transparent, add the carrot, peeled and mashed, if we have a masher, or chop it into very small pieces.
- While we make the sauce, we are going to prepare the minced meat. Season it well with salt and pepper, add garlic and parsley and add it to the pan with the onion. Let it cook. When it has about 5-10 minutes left, add the white wine. You can add a dash of Perrins Sauce to give it more flavor. Let it finish cooking until the wine evaporates.
- Now add the fried tomato and mix well, let it cook for about 10-15 minutes with the tomato until it reduces.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, peel them, being careful not to burn them. Cut them into small cubes, season to taste and mash them well until you get a puree (you can do it with a fork). We divide it in two, and half of it we place it in the mold where we are going to make our cake. While we assemble the cake in the mold, put the oven to preheat to 200ºC.
- First grease the mold with a little oil or butter. Now cover the bottom with half of the mashed potatoes and flatten it well, until the bottom is uniform and smooth. Continue adding the meat and doing the same. Squeeze it well with a spoon until it forms the shape of the mold and gets a homogeneous layer.Finish with the other half of the mashed potato and repeat the process, until it is covered completely.
- Now add a little grated cheese on top, and you can put it in the oven. At about 200ºC for about 15 minutes with fan and heat up and down. Once ready, take it out and let it rest for about 5 minutes so that the cake settles.It is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
This recipe, originally from Anglo-Saxon gastronomy, has been cooked since the 18th century in England. It is known there as “Cottage Pie”, rustic pie. A very humble recipe with which they used the leftover meat from other dishes to make this delicious pie accompanied with mashed potatoes.
If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips? We love to read you! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter and Instagram.