Today we bring you a delicious stew, very popular in Ireland, an Irish Guinness Beer Stew. A typical dish on St. Patrick’s Day but perfect to eat on any occasion.
It is a stew with lamb meat, cooked very slowly to load it with a powerful flavor. It is a typical St. Patrick’s Day dish, but as tasty as it is, it is perfect to eat on any occasion.
The recipe, like most stews, accepts a multitude of vegetables. The only one you can’t leave out is potatoes, the rest you can add or not, or replace them with others you prefer. Try adding leek, spring onion, turnip… Anything will be great, but don’t forget the potatoes!
Its main ingredient, the meat, in this case is lamb, as this is how the traditional Irish stew is made. But you can substitute it perfectly for veal. It will be equally delicious, but with a milder flavor.
Irish Guinness Beer Stew, traditional recipe
Irish Guinness Beer Stew traditional recipe
- 1/2 Pounds Lamb
- 2 Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 3 Garlic
- 1 Cup Meat broth
- 1 Cup Black beer
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- First we season the lamb meat with salt and pepper, which we will have cut into bite-sized pieces. Dredge the pieces of meat in flour.In a pot, put a dash of oil and brown the whole garlic over medium-low heat.When it is browned, remove it and add the meat. Cook until golden brown. Reserve1/2 Pounds Lamb, 2 Tbsp Flour, 3 Garlic, Pepper, Salt, 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chop the onion into very fine strips. Sauté in the pot, in the same oil as the meat, for about 10 minutes, over low heat.Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, carrots and tomatoes. Cut the potatoes into cubes, breaking them so that they release the starch well. That is to say, without cutting them completely, put the knife in and "levering" them into small pieces.Chop the carrot and tomatoes.2 Potatoes, 1 Onion, 1 Tomato, 1 Carrot
- Once the onion begins to brown, add the carrots and stir for about 5 minutes.Add the potatoes and chopped tomatoes. Mix well.1 Carrot
- When the sauce is ready, add the veal pieces, the Guinness beer, the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste.Cook over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, until the broth is reduced. After this time, when the stew has reduced, add the meat broth, enough to cover all the ingredients.1/2 Pounds Lamb, 1 Cup Black beer, 2 Bay leaves, Pepper, Salt, 1 Cup Meat broth
- Cook for two hours over low heat, until the meat is tender.Stir from time to time so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot.Your rich Irish stew is now ready.
If you liked Irish Guinness Beer Stew, traditional recipe, don’t forget to share it and leave us your comments. You can also follow us on Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all our publications.
We encourage you to try it at home because it is very easy to make and it is really delicious.