Eggs Benedict is a recipe, as the story goes, created to combat hangovers. In an interview published in the newspaper “The New Yorker” in 1942, they tell the following story. Lemuel Benedict was a retired Wall Street broker. One morning, in a luxurious New York hotel, he asked for a brunch to relieve his hangover. The request was: “buttered toast, poached eggs, crispy bacon and hollandaise sauce”. The chef of the luxurious hotel, surprised by the diner’s request, decided to include it in his menu; but replacing the toast with an English muffin. Thus Eggs Benedict was born.
Nowadays there are a multitude of recipes to elaborate these eggs Benedict. For example, changing the muffin for a croissant, or the bacon for salmon.
Eggs Benedict Recipe
So, if you want to try its miraculous effect after a hangover, save this complete brunch for the day after a party; or simply to treat yourself on a Sunday.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- Ground pepper
For the Eggs Benedict
- 2 Eggs
- 1 round bun
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- We will begin by preparing the Hollandaise sauce. Put the butter in a saucepan. Let it melt over low heat.Once it has melted completely, remove from the heat and remove with a spoon the foam that has generated.1/2 Cup Butter
- In the mixing glass, add one egg, the lemon juice (about a teaspoon), a pinch of salt and ground black pepper, to taste.We begin to beat, leaving the mixer fixed touching the bottom of the glass. And, without moving it, once the egg begins to thicken, add the butter little by little, without moving the mixer until all the ingredients are integrated.1 Tsp Lemon Juice, Salt, Ground pepper, 1 egg
For the Eggs Benedict
- Open the bread in two halves, spread the inner sides with butter and toast in a frying pan. Set aside.Fry the bacon slices in the same frying pan until crispy. Set aside.1 round bun, Butter, 4 Slices Bacon
- In a saucepan, put enough water to cook the two eggs, add a splash of vinegar and bring to the boil.When it is about to boil, turn off the heat and add the eggs, being careful not to break them (you can break them in a glass, and from the glass pour them into the water, so it will be easier not to break them).If you do not have enough space in the pot, make the eggs one at a time, so that they do not stick together.2 Eggs, 1 Tsp Vinegar, Water
- Cook for 3 minutes. Prepare a saucepan with cold water, and when removing the eggs from the water, once they are ready, run them through the saucepan with cold water for a few seconds. Set aside.Water
- Once all the ingredients are ready, we are going to assemble the eggs benedict.On the inside of the bread, the part we had toasted with butter, place two slices of fried bacon, on top of them the poached egg and the hollandaise sauce.
Did you like this eggs benedich recipe? We encourage you to try it, either for a brunch or for a delicious dinner and leave us your comments. If you want other recipes to make a super complete brunch, don’t miss the Full English Breakfast.