Bread is a traditional staple food in gastronomy all over the world. Although it is prepared differently in each place, they all have in common their dough made with cereal flour, water and salt, which is then baked. We can find a multitude of types, depending on the cereal with which it is made, depending on other ingredients it may contain, etc. And, being such an important basic in all the gastronomies of the world, it is not strange that it celebrates its own day, every October 16. Will you join us to celebrate World Bread Day?
Bread is a food that has been with us since 14,000 B.C., when we can find the first bread. The Natufiense culture, who already knew the seeds and cereals, ate them mixed with water, forming a kind of porridge.
It is believed that at that time the discovery of bread was totally fortuitous. When one of these porridges, which was near the fire, was accidentally cooked, creating a cake.
Afterwards, it was used by a multitude of cultures, up to our days.
Celebrate World Bread Day
World Bread Day was established by the International Union of Bakers and Confectioners in 2006, in order to promote the culture of bread, raise awareness of its nutritional value and its importance in our diet.
This food has been so important since its discovery that all cultures in history included it in their diet, improving the recipe.
Thus, it was the Egyptians who discovered the effect of yeast in bread. They simply left the dough to ferment until it rose. This method was also used in the brewing of beer.
Since then, and until today, it is a basic, economical and versatile food that accompanies us at every meal. So if you also want to celebrate World Bread Day, we propose some recipes. And it is a food that we can include from breakfast to dinner.
This is a food that accompanies us from breakfast to dinner, including desserts. There are many desserts that we can elaborate with bread as the main ingredient.
Whatever recipe you choose, don’t forget to share it with everyone using the hashtag #WorldBreadDay.Bread in the diet
For some years now there are many different diets that have been appearing. Fashions that each time propose you some foods as healthy while they cross out others as less good. And bread has been suffering this unfounded persecution for many years.
Because there are many who defend that in order to maintain our weight we must eradicate this food from our diet. And nothing could be further from the truth. Because it is like any other food, it is always good in its right measure.
Do you want to prepare it yourself?
So, before you go, encourage you to try your own homemade bread:
Quick and easy homemade bread recipe, recipe with plain flour
- 2 Cups wheat flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 & 1/3 Cup water
- 1 tsp baker's yeast
- For this recipe we will need a large bowl, in which we can mix the ingredients well. We will add in this bowl the flour, add the salt and the yeast and mix a little.Continue adding the water and mix a little (you don't need to mix it well yet).Let it rest for about 7 minutes so that the yeast begins to activate.2 Cups wheat flour, 1 pinch Salt, 1 tsp baker's yeast, 1 & 1/3 Cup water
- After this time, we will begin to knead (this is the most fun part of the recipe). Start kneading gently so that all the ingredients come together. When you have it well mixed, pour some flour on the table where you are going to knead and start folding the dough over itself and flattening it. Repeat this process until the texture of the dough is smooth.Return the dough to the bowl and let it rest until it doubles in size (about 3-4 hours).
- If you are not going to use the dough that same day, store it in the refrigerator by covering the bowl with cling film.When the dough has rested, flour again the table where you are going to work and divide the dough into small pieces (according to the size you want the breads).
- Knead each portion again, from the inside out until it has tension (it recovers its shape). Shape the loaves as you like (round, sticks, whatever you like), and place them on the baking sheet on baking paper. Let them rest again for half an hour.
- Finally, to finish our bread, preheat the oven to 390ºF and introduce the tray with the loaves.You can add a glass with a little water during the first 10 minutes of baking to generate steam. After these 10 minutes, remove the glass and lower the temperature to 390ºF until golden brown. (If you have not made them too big, it will take about 15 to 20 minutes).
And you, do you usually eat it with meals or, on the contrary, do you try to avoid it? Do you consider it an unhealthy food? Leave us your opinion below in the comments, as we love to read you.
Remember also to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.