We recently celebrated Bagel Day, specifically on January 15. But as one day is not enough to commemorate this great brunch so typical American (although of Polish origin); today we celebrate Bagel and Lox Day, every February 9, the most classic bagel of all. Do you know it? Then join us to celebrate its day.
But let’s start at the beginning, what is Bagel and Lox? It is one of the most popular and most appreciated combinations of Bagels, and it is nothing more than smoked salmon with cream cheese.
Origin of Bagel and Lox Day
Although Bagels are a brunch favorite in the United States, and specifically in New York, their origin is in Poland. It is believed that they exist at least since the year 1395. Year in which writings have been found referring to the Ovsyanick. Polish rolls very similar to bagels but harder and narrower.
During World War II, Bagels were brought to the United States by Jewish immigrants arriving in the country. There they became enormously popular and had a great acceptance.
But, before arriving in America, bagels also became popular in Europe. And one of the most popular fillings was smoked salmon. A technique perfected by the Scandinavians.
As it quickly became the favorite filling for bagels in the United States, it’s no wonder they wanted to commemorate this recipe by marking their own day on the calendar. For Bagel & Lox Day was established earlier, on February 9; from which Bagel Day, every January 15, subsequently emerged. But we do not know for sure who chose this day and why.
Celebrate this day with a great recipe
Undoubtedly, the best way to celebrate Bagel and Lox day is to prepare this recipe at home. But what if we prepare it 100% homemade?
We already saw how to make the Bagel dough here: Bagels recipe. But, if we also make our own marinated salmon, we would have some amazing bagels. Although the original recipe uses smoked salmon, we can perfectly substitute it with marinated salmon. We can follow the most classic recipe to make marinated salmon; or if you want to make a Bagel And Lox even more colorful, prepare Gravlax salmon, a great marinated with beets, which makes the salmon with beautiful pink tones.
Homemade Bagels Recipe
- 450 g Wheat flour
- 125 ml Warm water
- 125 ml Warm milk
- 30 g Butter
- 5 g Dry yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Egg
- Sesame seeds
- Olive oil (to grease the bowl)
- We start our bagels by sifting the flour in a bowl. Add the salt and sugar and mix.
- In another bowl, put the water and milk. They should be warm, so we put them in the microwave for a few minutes. When it is warm, add the yeast and dissolve it well.
- In the flour bowl, make a well in the flour in the center and add the water with the milk and the yeast. Add also the butter, previously melted in the microwave.
- With a spoon, we move our dough until it is a homogeneous dough. Let it rest for 5 minutes and continue stirring until it comes off easily from the bowl.
- When it comes off the walls of the bowl, we will put it on a smooth, floured surface and we will knead it with our hands, stretching it and folding it over itself. We will knead it until it has an elastic and smooth texture, about 10 minutes.
- When ready, put a few drops of oil on your fingers and lightly brush the sides of the bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 45 minutes. Remember that the dough should rest in a warm, draught-free place.
- After that time, put it back on a floured surface and press it to remove all the air it has. Cut with a knife to remove 6 to 8 portions, depending on the size you want your bagels.
- Make a ball with each portion, flatten it slightly and make the characteristic hole in the middle with your fingers. Once they have the shape, let them rest for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot, put plenty of water and a spoonful of sugar. Meanwhile, preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200ºC.
- When the water begins to boil and the bagels have rested, place them one at a time in the boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove them with the help of a skimmer, draining the water well. Place them on a baking sheet on parchment paper to prevent them from sticking.
- With the beaten egg, paint them on top and sprinkle them with sesame seeds or seeds of your choice.
- Place the tray in the oven at medium height. Let them bake for 20-15 minutes until the surface is golden brown.
- When they are ready, take them out of the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to rest until they cool.Once they are ready, you can eat them or open them and add the filling you like the most.
And you, do you want to celebrate Bagel and Lox Day? Remember to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read you! And don’t forget to follow us on social media to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.