Lasagnas are one of our favorite dishes. And, if we make it with a filling as simple as the one we propose today, it will become your favorite dish. It is perfect to prepare it in advance and to take it with you in your lunch box if you have to eat out. It is just as good from one day to the next. In addition, as we say, it is a super simple dish, at the same time very healthy, because the filling is quite light. Although then we crown our lasagna with a delicious bechamel sauce. Join us to see this delicious Tuna Lasagna recipe. A great way to use canned tuna.
As we were saying, lasagna is a very versatile dish. We can prepare it with a multitude of different fillings. Vegetables, meats of all kinds, fish… One of the classics, which never fails, is the traditional Lasagna Bolognese. But you can also make lasagna with any other filling you can think of.
To make this tuna lasagna, we are going to use canned tuna, so it is a very simple recipe. If, in addition, we use pre-cooked lasagna sheets, we will also save a lot of work. And we will have the lasagna ready in a matter of minutes.
Tuna Lasagna Recipe
Making a tuna lasagna is a very simple task. First, let’s start with the filling. For this we are going to make a stir-fry with onion, although you can include many more vegetables, such as bell pepper, carrot, zucchini, tomato… We have opted for a very simple filling, as we said, with onion, and there we will include the tuna, fried tomato and boiled eggs. We are not going to add more ingredients. These are all you need to make a very good filling.
Keep in mind that afterwards we have to make a bechamel sauce to bake the lasagna.
Once the filling is ready, we prepare the sheets, according to the ones we have bought. Later we will see in detail what types of sheets there are and what preparation each one requires, although you can see it on the package itself.
We assemble our lasagna, putting in the container we use to assemble it a base of fried tomato before putting the first layer of sheets, and we continue with filling, sheets, filling, etc. Until the end. Then, cover with a generous layer of bechamel sauce, grated cheese and bake until the cheese is golden brown.
- 14-16 Lasagna sheets
- 200 g canned tuna
- 250 ml Fried tomato
- 1 Onion
- 4 Eggs
- Grated cheese to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
For the Bechamel sauce
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 500 ml Milk
- 70 g Flour
- We start by putting the eggs in a pot with water to boil. We cook them for about 10 minutes. After that time, cool them under the tap and peel them when they have cooled. Set aside.
- We continue with the sofrito. Chop the onion finely and fry it in a frying pan with a drizzle of oil. As soon as it starts to become transparent, add the tuna, previously drained, the chopped boiled eggs and the tomato. Cook everything together for about five minutes. Set aside.
For the Bechamel sauce
- Put the butter in a frying pan. As soon as it melts, add the flour and let it toast lightly. But be careful not to burn it.Add the milk (lukewarm to avoid lumps) and, with a whisk, add the flour and milk, stirring, until you get a homogeneous cream. Cook for a few minutes, until it has the desired texture, and add a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Set aside.
- Now that we have the filling and the bechamel sauce ready, we only have to assemble the lasagna. In the mold where we are going to bake it, we cover the base with fried tomato. Spread well and cover with the first layer of lasagna sheets. We put filling and repeat the process until we make several layers, as much as the filling will give us.
- Finish with a layer of lasagna sheets, cover with bechamel sauce and put grated cheese on top.Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for approximately 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown. And now we have a great tuna lasagna ready.
Some options for your recipe
Being such a simple recipe, we can use it as a base and add as many ingredients as we want. For example, as for the vegetables in the sofrito, as we have only included onion, we can add more flavor by including other vegetables such as mushrooms, garlic, zucchini, carrots, natural tomatoes, spinach… Any vegetable you can think of will be a very good option.
We have not included spices either, as they are not necessary. The combination of tuna, tomato and egg creates a great filling, but remember that in the kitchen everything is about innovation. So add the spices you like the most. Without a doubt, oregano or basil will be great.
You can also try as many cheeses as you like. Just remember that they have to melt well.
Another option to make a different recipe, although using canned tuna is very simple, is to use natural tuna. Crumble it and add it to the onion when it starts to become transparent, and let both ingredients cook at the same time before adding the tomato and the boiled eggs.
Which Lasagna plates should I use?
Although lasagna is a very simple dish to prepare, it can be complicated if we have never prepared it; or also depending on the plates we choose. Well, in the supermarket we find many different types of lasagna plates. Let’s see what types there are:
- Traditional plates. These are the most classic ones, the ones that have been used all our lives. They are dry lasagna sheets that must be cooked before use. We will see how to cook them later on.
- Precooked sheets, i.e. they have been previously cooked. You can find two types of pre-cooked sheets: some that must be soaked before use; and others with which we can assemble the lasagna without previous treatment, because in the oven they become soft (provided that the recipe has some sauce). The package itself will tell you the steps to follow to use these sheets in your recipe.
- Finally, fresh lasagna sheets. Although these can not be found in any store or supermarket. They have a very dye-like texture and are very easy to handle. They do not need to be cooked before use, but, as we said, it is more complicated to find them.
How to cook the lasagna sheets
If we have chosen the first type of sheets to prepare our tuna lasagna, we have to cook them before using them. To do this, we are going to put a large pot with plenty of water. We bring to the boil.
As soon as the water starts to boil, add the salt and mix well. We are going to add the slices, one by one, delicately, to prevent them from sticking together. If this happens, they could break. Do not add too many at a time, as they could also stick together.
Cook for a few minutes. The cooking time will be indicated on the package, as it depends on the brand, thickness, etc. When they are cooked, remove them from the water carefully, using a skimmer, and place them on a flat surface, previously greased to prevent them from sticking.
You can also let them rest on clean kitchen towels previously moistened.
How to preserve tuna lasagna
This dish is ideal to take in a trolley if we have to eat out. In addition, we can freeze it in a very simple way, always without baking, to have it ready when we want to use it. It is a good way to have food in the freezer for any unforeseen event.
To freeze our lasagna we are going to keep it in containers suitable for the freezer, either in individual or double portions… As best suits you as you are going to need it later. When you have it stored in containers suitable for the freezer, keep it well labeled, with the name and the date on which you have cooked it. It will keep for 2 to 3 months.
Then, when you want to cook it to eat, take it out of the freezer and store it in the refrigerator the night before. Once it has thawed, we can bake it normally, until it is ready. This is a great way to prepare freezer rations and have them ready for when you have an emergency or don’t have time to cook.
And that’s the end of our delicious tuna lasagna. If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read them! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.