Spanish cuisine is very appreciated by everyone. It is a varied cuisine, with fresh ingredients and very traditional elaborations. And one of the most appreciated recipes is the Spanish potato omelette. If you have ever traveled to Spain and have been able to try this delicacy, you will surely have fallen in love with it. If you are wondering how to make an authentic Spanish Potato Omelette, and also, in an easy way, don’t miss this Spanish Omelette recipe.
This recipe is very simple, as we need very few ingredients. Only eggs, potatoes, oil and onion. Although the latter is optional. Some people put onion and some people prefer the Spanish omelette without it. I am going to use onion for this recipe, as I think it looks really good. It is very important that you have a good frying pan. It is very important that the food does not stick to it when cooking. Otherwise, it will be very difficult to turn it over (perhaps the most delicate step of the whole recipe).
Do you dare to try it?
Homemade Spanish Potato Omelette Recipe
Let’s see how to make a Spanish potato omelette is much simpler than you can imagine.
We have to cook the omelette in the pan once we have all the ingredients ready. And when it is cooked on one side, we have to flip it over. This is perhaps the most complicated step. We help ourselves with a large plate that we put on top of the pan. We press the pan with the plate and turn it quickly.
If you don’t get it right the first time, don’t worry. It is a matter of practice. Don’t get discouraged and keep trying!
Authentic Spanish potato omelette recipe
- 3 Potatoes
- 1/2 Onion (optional)
- 4 Eggs (You can add some more eggs, the more eggs you add, the juicier the omelet will be)
- Olive Oil
- We start our recipe by peeling the potatoes. We cut them into slices (between 1 and 2 millimeters wide). They do not have to be precise cuts (some can be wider and others thinner).If you want to use onion, cut it into thin slices.3 Potatoes, 1/2 Onion
- When we have the potatoes cut, we put enough oil in a frying pan. The oil has to cover the potatoes. When it is hot, add the potatoes and the onion and put it over medium heat. Add salt to taste. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Until the potatoes are tender.3 Potatoes, 1/2 Onion, Olive Oil, Salt
- While our potatoes are frying, we are going to prepare the eggs. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add a pinch of salt and set aside.4 Eggs
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them with a colander to remove excess oil. We can leave them for a few minutes in a colander to drain them well. (If not, the omelette will be too greasy, and will spoil its flavor). When the potatoes are drained, put them in the bowl with the eggs. Mix carefully so as not to break the potatoes too much. Let stand about 3 minutes (with the heat of the freshly fried potatoes, the egg will begin to set).
- In the same frying pan in which we have fried the potatoes, we remove the oil, and with the oil that remains impregnated in the frying pan it will be enough to curdle our Spanish potato omelette.Pour the mixture of eggs and potatoes into the frying pan (when the oil is hot), and cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. When we see that it is getting cooked, before it burns, we turn it over with the help of a large plate. Once it is curdled to taste, our delicious homemade omelette is ready.
And now that you have seen how to make the Spanish potato omelette, did you know that it was invented in the Spanish community of Extremadura, in 1798? Its inventor is said to be Joseph de Tena Godoy y Malfeyto and the Marquis of Robledo.
Both were looking for a nutritious and cheap food to fight the famines of the time, and came up with the tortilla de patatas.
Tricks to get the perfect recipe
Here are some tips to get a spectacular Spanish omelette recipe.
1 When it is time to put the potatoes in the oil, it must be very hot, and then, immediately after, lower it to medium heat.
2 If we use a quality potato in our recipe, we will notice the difference considerably.
3 The same thing will happen with the eggs, if they are free-range, all the better, you will also appreciate it in the color. Your omelet will look much more appetizing, besides being much better.
4 Don’t forget to reuse the oil for other occasions when you are going to fry, since the oil from the potatoes is quite clean and can be used more times.
5 Watch out for the frying pan! Use the best non-stick frying pan you have, to avoid chaos when turning it over.