The time has come when we can start preparing recipes that are good both hot and cold. Light and healthy recipes that also do not take us too much time; like this recipe for zucchini and tuna pie, with which you will surprise all your guests. It is very simple to elaborate, in addition we can serve it as first plate or to make a softer cake if we grind all the ingredients and serve it as an appetizer with bread toasts. As if it were a vegetable pate. If you dare to prepare it at home do not miss the recipe.
Zucchini and Tuna pie Recipe
For this recipe you can mash the zucchini, or chop them very well. But if we want to give more texture to our savory pie, we will cut them into thin slices and prepare the pie with the zucchini slices. This way they will stand out more.
However, the advantage of shredding it, is that we will prepare a cake with a smoother texture. So we leave it to your choice. It will also depend on the use you want to give the cake.
For example, if you are going to serve it as a first course, it is a good option to leave the zucchini in small pieces, so that it stands out. If, on the other hand, you want to serve it as an appetizer or to make canapés with it, mash the zucchini to make a more spreadable and smooth cake.
If you choose to slice the zucchini, do not mix them with the beaten egg. Follow the same procedure, but fry only the onion, not the zucchini, as we will put it in raw. When the egg, milk and bread mixture is ready, put some of the mixture in the mold and cover with zucchini slices. Repeat the process creating layers until the zucchini is finished.
Zucchini and Tuna Pie
- 2 Zucchini
- 1/2 Onion
- 300 ml Milk
- 4 Slices Bread
- 200 g Tuna (in oil)
- 3 Eggs
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crushed black pepper
- We begin by washing the zucchini well. Peel them (although you can leave them with the skin on) and chop them. We also chop the onion.
- In a frying pan, put a dash of oil and, when it is hot, fry the onion. Cook for a few minutes over medium-low heat, until it starts to become transparent. Then, add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, we can continue with the recipe. Put the eggs in a bowl and beat them well. Add the milk, parsley, a little ground pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Incorporate the bread slices into the egg and mash well, or mix with a fork until the bread is barely noticeable.Add the zucchini, onion and the previously drained tuna and mix well.
- Continue by greasing the mold with a little oil or butter. Put the previous mixture in the mold and bake in the oven, in a bain-marie, for about 45 minutes, at 150ºC.
- After that time, check with a toothpick that it is well done. If it comes out clean, it is ready.Let it cool a little and unmold carefully. Now we have a great zucchini pie ready.
Would you like to try this delicious cake at home?
To unmold your cake more easily, and any other cake you make in the same way, we can put parchment paper in the mold; either all over the mold, covering it carefully so that the paper does not form too many wrinkles that will later remain in the cake; or by putting a little parchment paper only at the bottom of the mold.
Another option, if you do not want to risk it breaking when you unmold it, is to make it as a cake. To do this, use a round and lower mold. To bake it in a bain-marie, add the water directly into the baking pan. Use a tray that is slightly deep to allow enough water to enter.
If you liked this recipe, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read them! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You will find us on Twitter and Instagram.