Today we bring you a very tasty, simple and very complete dish. The traditional recipe of homemade lentils, a very complete, healthy and delicious dish. Undoubtedly, one of the “lifetime” dishes of our gastronomy. In addition it is very easy to make, as most of the stews, because they do not have any complication.
In addition, lentils are a very healthy food, which provides us with a multitude of properties and benefits, like most legumes, a staple of our Mediterranean Diet.
Did you know that… Lentils are considered one of the oldest crops. An ideal ingredient for very nutritious stews or salads.
Benefits of these homemade recipes with lentils
In case you have not yet been convinced to try this traditional lentil recipe, let’s take a look at some of their properties. Lentils are an essential ingredient in the Mediterranean diet, and is one of the star legumes of our traditional stews.
Just one serving of this magnificent legume provides us with one third of the iron we need per day.
Lentils are very good for digestion.
They are also low in calories and increase our feeling of satiety.
They also protect the nervous system, thanks to their vitamin B content, and are anti-anemic, thanks to vitamin C.
Did you know that lentils are also ideal for slimming diets? You can make them in stews with fewer calories than traditional lentils.
Traditional recipe of Lentils, a dish of a lifetime
I’m sure you will be surprised how easy this stew is to prepare. It is perfect for cold days. It is a very hearty meal and perfect to warm up.
Before starting, we will leave the lentils in water. This way they will be done in less time. Although, if you forget and we do not put them in water, we can make them anyway. Only that it will take us a little more time to cook them.
We are going to prepare a stir-fry with the vegetables that we want. And, when we put the lentils to cook, we will incorporate the meat: Chorizo, blood sausage, pancetta…
Traditional recipe of homemade lentils
- 500 g lentils
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 ham bone
- 3 sausages
- 2 black pudding
- 1 small piece of bacon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Crushed pepper
- We will start the night before, soaking our lentils in cold water.The next day, when we start our recipe we are going to drain the lentils well and reserve them.
- We are going to chop well the onion and the tomato previously peeled. The onion very small, so that it is not very noticeable when eating the lentils, and the tomato, to taste. I like to cut it into small cubes.Peel the carrots and potatoes, and cut them into medium pieces.
- In a casserole, put a little oil, and add the chopped onion and whole peeled garlic. We will sauté for about 10 minutes, over medium heat.After this time, add the carrots, potatoes and tomato. Sauté everything together for about five or six minutes.
- Add the ham bone and a teaspoon of paprika, also the bay leaf. Stir with a wooden spoon and add the lentils. Stir well to combine all the ingredients for 2 minutes and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil.
- For a few minutes, remove the foam they form. Once all the foam has been removed, add the sausages, the black pudding and the bacon, salt to taste and ground pepper.
- Put it on low heat once it is boiling and let it cook for one hour. Once this time has passed, test them to see if they are still a little hard. In that case, let it cook for a few more minutes.And now you have your delicious lentils ready.
And here we end our recipe for this fantastic lentil stew. A very Mediterranean dish, and perfect to eat legumes in a delicious way.
If you liked it, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read you! You can also follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You will find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.