If you are looking for a delicious and nutritious option to surprise your guests, Torta Pascualina with chard is the perfect choice. This exquisite recipe combines the essence of the traditional torta pascualina with the flavor and healthy benefits of chard, creating an irresistible combination for the palate. In this article, we will discover the secrets behind this delicious preparation and how you can make it at home.
Origin and history of the Torta Pascualina:
Torta Pascualina is a traditional recipe of Italian cuisine, especially popular in the Liguria region. It is believed to have been originally created by nuns in the 16th century as a culinary option for Lent and Easter. Over time, this cake has gained popularity around the world due to its unique flavor and versatility in the choice of ingredients.
It is a kind of pie, which is made with shortcrust pastry and puff pastry and filled with the ingredients of your choice. The result is a delicious and healthy cake, with a salty filling, perfect for an informal meal or a snack. And it also offers us many versions. We can fill it with as many ingredients as we want.
Recipe of Pascualina Cake with chard
To make this cake we are going to buy the dough already made. We will use pie dough, either shortcrust pastry or puff pastry, whichever we prefer. Both will be very good.
And, as we start with the dough already made, we will only have to make the filling for the Pascualina cake with chard and assemble the preparation.
For the filling, we are going to make a sofrito with onion, in which we will sauté the chard. On the other hand, we will make a mixture of ricotta cheese, beaten eggs, salt and pepper. To this mixture we will include the chards once they are cooked. And, with this, we would already have the filling.
We only have to place the dough in a mold, put the filling on the dough and cover with another dough, to obtain a closed cake. Seal the edges and bake. That’s how easy it is to make a chard pascualina cake. Do you dare to try it?
Chard Pascualina Cake
- 2 pie doughs you can use shortcrust pastry or puff pastry
- 500 g chard
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- We start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, we start with the chard. First we wash them and cut them into bite size pieces.We also chop the onion as finely as we can.
- In a frying pan, we put a drizzle of oil. When it is hot, fry the onion until it starts to become transparent. Then add the chard and cook until tender.
- In a bowl, put the eggs and beat well, add the ricotta and season to taste. When the chards are ready, add them also to this bowl.
- Now we will need a round mold, in which we are going to prepare the cake. Grease with a drizzle of oil or a little butter and cover with one of the doughs. Put the filling on it and cover it again with the other dough, sealing the edges well with your hands, joining both doughs so that the filling does not come out. Make some holes by pricking several times with a fork so that the steam formed during cooking can escape.
- All that remains is to bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Now you have a wonderful Easter cake ready.
The Salted Pascualina Cake with Chard is a versatile recipe that allows several variations to suit different tastes and culinary preferences. Here are some creative options to explore and experiment with this delicious cake:
- Torta Pascualina with Chard and Goat Cheese: Add a touch of sophistication to your torta pascualina by incorporating crumbled goat cheese. Its unique flavor and creaminess complement perfectly with the chard, creating a delicious combination.
- Torta Pascualina with Chard and Mushrooms: If you are a mushroom lover, this variation is for you. Sauté sliced mushrooms along with the chard to add an earthy flavor and smooth texture to your torta pascualina. You can use fresh mushrooms or even portobello mushrooms for a more intense flavor.
- With Swiss Chard and Spinach Ricotta: Combine the best of two green worlds by incorporating spinach into your torta pascualina. Mix cooked and drained spinach with ricotta and Swiss chard for an even more vibrant, nutrient-packed taste.
- Torta Pascualina with Chard and Roasted Peppers: Give your torta Pascualina a Mediterranean twist by adding roasted peppers. Roasted red or yellow peppers add a sweet, smoky flavor that contrasts beautifully with the chard.
- Torta Pascualina with Chard and Tofu: If you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, you can substitute ricotta for tofu to make a dairy-free version of this torta. Crumble the tofu and mix it with the chard for a healthy and tasty alternative.
- Chard and Ham Pascualina Cake: Add a little animal protein to your Pascualina cake by incorporating chopped ham. The salty flavor of the ham is perfectly balanced with the softness of the chard, creating an irresistible combination.
These are just a few ideas to vary and personalize your Torta Pascualina with Chard. But, remember that in the kitchen everything is a matter of innovation. So don’t hesitate to experiment with other ingredients and flavors that inspire you; the versatility of this recipe allows you to explore and create new culinary options according to your preferences and available ingredients!
Tips and Tricks for Preparing the Perfect Savory Pascualina Cake with Chard
Preparing a perfect Savory Pascualina Cake with Chard requires attention to detail and a few culinary tricks. Follow these tips for an excellent result:
- Use fresh or homemade dough: To obtain a crispy and tasty torta base, it is advisable to use fresh dough or make it at home. If you don’t have time to make it from scratch, you can find fresh dough in the refrigerated section of your local supermarket. Be sure to roll it out enough to cover the entire pan and make sure it is even.
- Cook the chard properly: Before incorporating the chard into your torta pascualina, be sure to cook it properly. Wash the leaves well and cut them into small pieces. You can boil them in salted water for a few minutes until tender if you prefer them more cooked. You can even reserve the stalks for another preparation if you do not want to include them in your chard Easter cake. Then, drain them and press them gently to remove excess water. This step is essential to prevent the cake from becoming watery during cooking.
- Add cheese for creaminess: For a smooth, creamy texture in your pie filling, add ricotta cheese to the chard mixture. The ricotta pairs well with the chard and adds an irresistible flavor and texture. You can even add other cheeses, such as Parmesan or mozzarella, to intensify the flavor.
- Seal the edges well: When placing the second layer of dough on top of the filling, be sure to seal the edges well. You can do this by pressing with your fingers or using a fork to create a decorative pattern. This will help prevent the filling from escaping during baking and will keep the cake in shape.
- Prick the surface: Before baking the cake, lightly prick the surface with a fork. This will allow steam to escape during baking and prevent the cake from over-swelling. It will also help the batter bake evenly.
- Adjust the cooking time and temperature: Cooking time and temperature may vary depending on the type of oven. Follow the directions in your recipe, but check the cake regularly to make sure it is cooking properly. It should be golden brown on top and the crust should be cooked and crisp.
- Let it rest before serving: Once the torta is ready, let it rest for a few minutes before cutting and serving. This will allow the flavors to settle and the cake to cool slightly, making it easier to handle.
Torta Pascualina with Chard is a delicious and healthy option that combines Italian tradition with the nutritional benefits of chard. Now that you have the recipe, don’t hesitate to try it and delight your guests with this exquisite dish!
If you liked the recipe, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read them! And don’t forget to follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.