Today we bring you a great recipe for a snack or a very light and healthy breakfast: some delicious light banana pancakes; because we are going to elaborate them with oatmeal and without using any sugar, so that it is a very healthy option for all those who are looking to take care of their line. But we will also see some options for this recipe, and a multitude of ways to accompany them, from the healthiest to others to treat yourself.
Pancakes, pancakes, pancakes, pancakes, hotcakes… Regardless of how you know them, pancakes are a sweet that you love. And the best way to enjoy this fantastic pastry recipe to the fullest is to make pancakes as healthy as possible, sugar-free and in a light version. These banana pancakes are a great option to treat yourself without skipping your diet.
But, what are banana pancakes?
Although it is a worldwide known preparation, let’s see what it consists of.
Banana pancakes are a sweet made from ripe bananas, since they are the base of the dough of these pancakes. And for this, we have to mash them. They also include other ingredients to get that delicious and spongy dough that characterizes the pancakes. But here we already have many options. We can add flour, eggs, some dairy products… We have a multitude of options for flavoring such as cinnamon or vanilla, as well as different ways to sweeten them for those with a sweet tooth.
This dish is perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. And it is very popular in many countries, especially in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Today we are going to see a healthy recipe to prepare light banana pancakes, with oatmeal and without sugar. But we will also see some other recipes in case you prefer to incorporate flour in your recipe.
Even so, they are a great alternative to the classic pancakes. They are also delicious, and also contain less sugar and saturated fats. It is a great recipe to take advantage of bananas that are getting too ripe. This way we will take advantage of them in a delicious way.
Are banana and oat pancakes healthy?
Banana pancakes are a healthy option for both breakfast and snack, but it will always depend on how we prepare them.
For example, if you follow the first recipe we bring you, to make banana pancakes with oatmeal, and, in addition, without using sugar, it will always be a healthier option than if we include flour in the elaboration.
Of course, it will also depend on what we accompany them with. It is useless to make pancakes with a super-healthy batter if we then accompany them with syrup, cream, etc.
It will always be a better option to add oatmeal instead of flour. Because it is healthier, as well as omitting any type of sweetener. But keep in mind that if we make them with refined white flour and use a lot of syrup, sugar, butter in excess … It will no longer be such a healthy recipe.
In addition, these pancakes will also provide us with a lot of energy, fiber and vitamins. Since bananas are rich in nutrients such as potassium, vitamin C, B vitamins … So they are the perfect breakfast for athletes, thanks to the carbohydrates they provide.
How to make Banana Pancakes without sugar, recipe light version
For this recipe we need very few ingredients. It will be enough with bananas, an egg, milk, the type we want and a little oat flour. You can use any milk, the one you prefer, the same as with the flour, although if you are looking for a healthier recipe I recommend using oat flour. You can also make this same recipe with oat flakes and grind them yourself.
We will also add a pinch of yeast, so that they are very tender inside, and a pinch of salt.
Once we have all the ingredients, we just have to grind everything very well, or mix it, as we prefer, until we get a homogeneous dough.
At the time of cooking the pancakes, we have chosen to do it with oil, since it is healthier. But, as we will need very little quantity, we can also do it in the more traditional way, with a little butter.
Do not pour the batter into the pan until it is very hot. Once you have poured the pancake, cook it over medium-low heat so that it is well done inside. When you see that the top has enough bubbles, it is time to flip the pancake.
Repeat this process until all the batter is done.
Sugar-free banana oatmeal pancakes recipe
- 2 bananas ripe
- 1 egg
- 100 g Oat Flour
- 1 tsp Yeast
- 50 ml Milk
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder optional
- Olive Oil
- We start by peeling the plantains. Use the ripest ones you have at home, so, besides taking advantage of them, our pancake batter will look better.We can mash them with a fork or in the blender if we want a more homogeneous texture, to your taste.
- Add the egg and mix well, or continue beating.
- Add the flour, milk, yeast, a pinch of salt and cinnamon if you decide to add it. Mix well until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- In a non-stick frying pan, we are going to put a drop of oil, and we will distribute it well all over the pan. When it is hot, add a little of the batter. Use a measuring cup or ladle to add the same amount of batter each time.
- Cook each pancake on both sides. The trick to know if they need to be flipped is when you see bubbles forming on the surface.Repeat the process until all the dough is finished.
As you can see, preparing this recipe for light banana pancakes with oatmeal is very simple. They are a great way to indulge yourself and, moreover, in a healthier way.
However, let’s take a look at another recipe in case you want to prepare your pancakes with wheat flour.
Other versions of Banana Pancakes
Banana Pancakes with Flour
Ingredients to make banana pancakes:
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 egg
- 100 grams of wheat flour (preferably whole wheat)
- 100 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Olive oil or butter, to cook the pancakes.
The preparation is exactly the same, only substituting the oat flour for wheat flour. Mix or beat all the ingredients until you get a homogeneous mixture, and cook the pancakes in a non-stick pan, or on a griddle if you want to make several pancakes at the same time.
Banana Pancakes for Babies
This recipe, being so simple and healthy and having very few ingredients, is also suitable for the smallest of the house.
Depending on when we have started to include solids in their diet, and the foods they have already tried and we know they are not allergic to, we can prepare these pancakes for our babies, more or less, from 8-10 months.
How to make banana pancakes for babies, a recipe for a tasty and healthy snack.
It is made just like the recipe we saw, only with these ingredients. Remember that it is very important that the little one has already tried the banana and egg and we have checked that it has no allergies or intolerances.
Banana Pancakes for Babies
- 1 banana ripe
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp oat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch yeast
- Extra virgin olive oil to grease the pan
- We are going to peel the plantain and mash it with a fork. We can also crush everything in the blender to get a more homogeneous mixture.
- Incorporate the rest of the ingredients until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Grease a non-stick frying pan with a drop of oil, spread it well, and cook the pancakes on both sides.
! Remember to supervise the little one at all times to prevent choking.
How to sweeten pancakes
Although we present this dish as a healthy breakfast or snack, if we want to prepare it for a special occasion, or to treat ourselves to a sweet treat, we can sweeten the pancakes in many ways.
It is true that the banana will do the function of any sweetener. It will bring its sweet taste to the recipe. That is why it is not necessary to add more sugars. For a more enhanced sweetness, use bananas that are well ripe. They will also be sweeter.
But we can always sweeten our pancakes with sugar, white or brown, with honey, agave syrup, panela, stevia… Choose the one you like best.
You will see that we have seen two options: one recipe with wheat flour and one with oat flour, or whole wheat flour. These are always healthier options than refined flour. And we can also substitute it with rice flour or chickpea flour.
Regarding the milk, you can use the one you like the most, either animal or vegetable. Keep in mind that an animal milk will always increase the caloric contribution of this recipe. So, if you want to serve the banana pancakes as a complement in your diet, use a vegetable milk without added sugar. For example, you can opt for soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk…
Did you know that cinnamon helps our body burn more fat? So if you want a recipe suitable for your diet do not forget this spice.
You may be interested in : 15 Ideas to decorate your pancakes
And we finish with some variations of the Banana Pancakes.
Since it is a very versatile recipe, and we can give a lot of play to it by making different desserts, we will never get tired of our healthy banana and oatmeal pancakes!
- With walnuts, or any other dried fruit. They will add a delicious flavor to your recipe, and at the same time we will get a more nutritious dish with many more vitamins. Add them to the batter of more pancakes, well crushed or mashed.
- Banana and Cocoa Pancakes. We can use chocolate chips or some melted chocolate to make great pancakes with a spectacular contrast of flavors. Don’t forget a few drops of vanilla essence, they will look great!
- With Greek yogurt. We can incorporate it both in the batter and when serving them. Either way it will look great with our recipe.
- With seeds. For example, Chia. Add a pinch of Chia to the pancake batter to benefit from all its properties.
- With berries or red fruits. Don’t just stick to bananas, innovate with as many fruits as you want in the batter. In particular, with blueberries, you will get great banana pancakes. Raspberries and currants are also very good with bananas and can be incorporated both in the batter and when serving our pancakes.
And here we end this great recipe for Banana Pancakes light, oatmeal and sugar free. If you liked them, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, tips… We love to read them!Don’t forget that you can also follow us on social networks to keep up to date with all our publications. You can find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.