Do you like caramel popcorn? It is a simple snack to prepare, and much healthier if we make it homemade than if we buy it in a bag. Besides, we can make the caramel in many different ways, or by adding different ingredients to give it a different touch. As on this occasion, we are going to prepare different candies to incorporate food coloring and get spectacular Caramelized Colorful Popcorn. Undoubtedly, it will be the favorite snack of the little ones at home.
Popcorn is a very versatile snack or appetizer. This simple snack, which has centuries of history, is very healthy, contrary to what we may think. That is, as long as we prepare it on its own. But from time to time we can give ourselves a treat by adding caramel to our popcorn, as in this occasion. Or, by preparing it with chocolate.
Caramelized Colorful Popcorn
You will see that this recipe is not complicated at all. Simply, we will prepare the popcorn the way we prefer. We can make them in a frying pan, or in a microwave; we can also make them in the typical popcorn popper if we are all popcorn fans and we have one at home.
Once we have the popcorn ready, we will go with the caramel. And, when it has the desired texture, we will separate it into as many bowls as colors we want to make.
At this point, we have to be a bit agile to prevent the caramel from cooling during the process. Don’t worry, we have time, but don’t rest on your laurels either. When we have all the caramel distributed in the bowls we have decided, we mix each one with the selected coloring. The amount of coloring will depend on the intensity of color you want to give to the caramel.
Mix well and distribute each caramel with a portion of popcorn. Let it cool down completely and we have ready a great colored caramelized popcorn.
Easy, isn’t it? Let’s see the recipe step by step:
Colorful Caramel Popcorn
- 1 Cup Popcorn
- Sunflower oil (for popping popcorn)
- 75 ml Water
- 100 g Sugar
- 4 drops Red food coloring
- 4 drops Blue food coloring
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- We start by putting a dash of oil in the frying pan and put it on the heat. When it is hot, add the corn and cover the pan.
- We let the popcorn cook, when we stop hearing it pop, or when it stops popping continuously, we are going to remove it from the fire. Set aside.Before starting with the caramel, we are going to prepare the coloring. We put each selected color in a bowl.Choose wide bowls, because later we will have to mix the popcorn here. Set aside.
- In another pan, put the water and add the sugar. Cook over low heat until the caramel is formed. Do not stop stirring until the caramel has the desired texture, as the sugar sticks easily.
- Once we have the caramel ready, we are going to add it quickly to the bowls with the coloring. We will divide it in three parts, because we have three different colors. But if you have added more or less colors, distribute it evenly. Mix vigorously so that the caramel takes color and immediately after, add a third of the popcorn in each bowl. Mix well.
- Place the popcorn on a wide tray, on parchment paper, to prevent the popcorn from sticking too much. Let the caramel dry and cool, and we have ready a delicious colorful caramel popcorn.
And you, do you dare to try these delicious Caramelized Colorful Popcorn?
When the popcorn is ready, let it cool on the baking sheet on a baking paper. Keep them well separated. In this way, we will avoid them sticking to each other and we will get the caramel to dry well, leaving our popcorn loose. Otherwise, the popcorn will become caked, and the colors will mix with each other, leaving a less attractive result.
If you liked them, remember to leave us your comments, ideas, opinions… We love to read them!