Churros are a typical sweet of Mediterranean countries, of Spanish origin. They consist of a very simple dough to make, based on flour, which is fried in abundant oil. The result is a crunchy sweet on the outside and very tender on the inside. Perfect for dipping with chocolate. Don’t miss homemade churros recipe.
With this recipe you will be able to prepare them at home with very few ingredients.
You will love them dipped in coffee or milk. You can also try them with hot chocolate or simply with a little sprinkled sugar.
To prepare them we only need a pastry bag or a churrera, which is a specific utensil to prepare this sweet in which the dough is put inside. Pressing it, we will make the characteristic shape of the churros while removing all the air from the dough. This is essential to prevent them from exploding when frying.
If you opt for the pastry bag, it is very important not to leave any air in the dough, because when frying the churros these air bubbles would make it explode, splashing too much oil, with the consequent risk of burning. So if you are afraid to prepare them because you don’t have a churro maker, you can always substitute the frying in oil for the oven. They are also delicious and we will avoid the risk of burning ourselves.
Let’s see how to make this simple recipe for homemade churros:
Homemade churros recipe
- 250 g Flour
- 250 g Water
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Sugar or powdered sugar To sprinkle at the end
- Olive Oil
- In a bowl, add the flour. Meanwhile, heat the water with the salt in a saucepan over the heat.250 g Flour, 250 g Water, 1 Pinch Salt
- When the water starts to boil, add it to the bowl of flour and integrate the flour with the water with a wooden spoon. It should be a compact dough.250 g Flour
- Add the dough in the churro maker or, if you choose to make them in the piping bag, it is very important that you compact the dough well so that there are no air bubbles between the dough. Otherwise, it could splatter too much, because if there are air bubbles, the churro could splatter too much.
- On a clean kitchen towel, shape the churros. If you chose to use a piping bag, use a star-shaped nozzle, as sharp as possible. This is important for the dough to fry well. You should notice the typical striations of the churros in the dough.
- Make them the size you want and cut them. You can make them as sticks, or give them the typical loop shape by joining the beginning and the end of the churro, and squeezing it with your fingers so that it comes together.
- Put a pot with the oil on high heat and, once it is very hot, add the churros and put on medium heat so that they are well done inside. When they are fried, remove them to a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil.Olive Oil
- Serve them with a little sugar or powdered sugar sprinkled on top.Now you have your churros ready for breakfast, snack or whenever you feel like it!Sugar or powdered sugar
Did you like our recipe for homemade churros? It is very simple to make and you only need flour, salt, water, and a little oil for frying, which you can reuse so as not to waste it, since the churros will not dirty the oil.
Don’t forget to leave us your comments about the recipe, if you already make them at home, your tricks or preferences about this traditional dish.
And, before you go, don’t miss these other delicious recipes to prepare homemade sweets; such as White chocolate custard recipe or Cheesecake recipe with transparent covering.