Making homemade bread is a real pleasure. It is simple and as soon as we get the hang of it, it becomes a vice. Today we are going to bring you a recipe for a typical Italian bread: the Focaccia. It is a flat bread, usually with aromatic herbs, or cherry tomatoes, cheese, olives… It can be served with any accompaniment. So today we are going to make the basic recipe of Italian Focaccia, so that you can add the ingredients that you like the most.
How to make the basic homemade Focaccia recipe
As soon as you try to make it the first time, you will definitely want to repeat as soon as possible because it is super simple and it is delicious! It is also ideal to accompany your Caprese Salad and make a very Italian menu.
Basic Focaccia Recipe
- 2 Cups Strong flour
- 2 Cups common wheat flour
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 & 1/2 Cup water
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Provençal herbs (to taste)
- Coarse salt (to taste)
- We will begin by mixing the flours, previously sifted, with the salt. We make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add the water with the yeast and sugar.2 Cups Strong flour, 2 Cups common wheat flour, 1 tsp Sugar, 1 tsp Salt, 1 & 1/2 Cup water, 1 tsp dry yeast
- We begin to knead for about 10 minutes. The focaccia is made with a wet dough, so at the beginning it may be a little difficult to knead.
- When we have achieved a homogeneous dough, on a smooth surface, we continue kneading. To do this we have to grease the work surface with some oil and continue kneading until we get an elastic and smooth texture.Extra virgin olive oil
- We put it in a bowl again, previously greased, and cover it with a damp kitchen towel. Let stand between 1 h and an hour and a half.
- After this time, we grease well the tray where we are going to bake the focaccia. For these quantities, it should be a rectangular tray. We also grease our hands with some oil and place the dough. We spread it on the tray but delicately and carefully so as not to flatten it.Brush it with oil and let it rest again for half an hour.Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 480ºF. Spread the dough again, very gently and without touching the edges of the mold. Brush again with oil and make some holes with your fingers, all over the surface.Extra virgin olive oil
- Add a little more oil and let it rest for 10 minutes.Now dress it with the ingredients of your choice, you can see below all the options you have, or simply with the Provencal herbs. Press lightly, add more oil to the surface and let it rest for 10 minutes.Extra virgin olive oil
- After that time, add oil again and a little coarse salt, and bake for 5 minutes. After that time, lower the oven temperature to 430ºF and continue baking for 15-20 minutes.Extra virgin olive oil, Coarse salt
- After this time, add again a drizzle of oil all over the surface (as soon as you take it out of the oven) and let it rest for 5 minutes. Remove from the mold and let it cool on a wire rack.Your homemade focaccia is ready.
What ingredients to use for Focaccia?
Focaccia, like pizza, can be made with almost any ingredient. Some options to put in the dough before baking it are:
- Cherry tomatoes, is the focaccia recipe we chose in the recipe we have shown you. The result is very good
- Onion: slice the onion and add it to your focaccia before baking.
- Any type of cheese
- Dried tomatoes, previously hydrated in oil.
- Olives (green or black olives, as you prefer, but pitted)
- Anchovies, ham, chistorra sausage, bacon…
Although it is advisable not to overload it too much, you can also combine the above ingredients to your taste and make a totally personal focaccia recipe!
And you, do you dare to try this delicious Italian Focaccia recipe? Tell us your experiences, opinions, etc, in the comments. You can also share with us the images of your results in the different social networks using our hashtags. And remember to follow us on Twitter and Instagram to keep up to date with all our posts.
Enjoy your meal!
But before you go, don’t miss these spectacular pizza recipes.